Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

help choosing muzzleloader

Old 11-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: help choosing muzzleloader

ORIGINAL: bowfisherman

thanks. I'm thinking of starting with open sights and if I feel the need I will buy a scope. I would probably spend up to 500 dollars. I figured I would buy it this winter and practice all year for next season since my freezer is already filled from archery and rifle season. I want something easy to clean, accurate to 100 yards and be able to fire in wet conditions. Not looking for traditional. I will keep reading and learn as much as I can, then go up to cabelas to play with some. I'm sure I'll be asking a few newbie questions along the way. Thanks, Brad
$500, open sights, 100 yards max, easy to clean. Based on this info I would go with a Triumph and replace the sights with a Williams peep sight. Triumph is easy to clean, accurate as heck, only about $300 and so could get a Stainless Steel or weather guard (recommended).After the first year you could put a good Nikon or Bushnell Elite scope on it for $200 to$300.
Chap
Old 11-30-2008, 12:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

I still favor the old school rifles that have hammer striker design.

So do i.

My old CVA Stag Horn has a super good trigger pull and it is also very light.i reach for it most times and leave the TC Encore sitting in the safe.

IMO: Find yourself a nice TC Black Diamond with a wood stock. They get a lot more expensive than a Black Diamond but they do not get any more accurate. Second choice: A CVA Elk Horn.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

ORIGINAL: bowfisherman

I would like to get into muzzleloader hunting next year. Theres so many choices. I having been reading about it but I know very little. Could you tell me what style you like/dislike and why ( break action bolt,ect.)? Any other info would be greatly appreciated? Thanks, Brad
We need to know some things, like:

1) what state are you in?
2) hunting primarily woods or open fields?
3) wanna use a scope?
4) do you like traditional rifles (flintlocks and sidelocks)?
5) do you intend to hunt a lot with a MLer?
6) with this be a lifetime purchase or will you maybe buy another gun?
7) how much do you wanna spend? On gun? On Scope? In general you can get a good gun for $300 and a good scope for $200. So tell us a little about yourself and we can help a bit better.

Also read these:

SELECTING AND BUYING MUZZLELOADERS:[*]Beware the First Year Models (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]Buying A New Muzzleloader? (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]How to Select a New Muzzleloader (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]Rating the Inline Muzzleloading Manufacturers (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]Recommended Muzzleloader Brands (Article by the G&S Online Staff)[*]Want to Buy an Inline? A Short History of Modern Inline Design (Article by Randy D. Smith)[*]What Makes for a Good Muzzleloader (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]What Muzzleloader Should I Buy? (Article by Randy Wakeman)

Which are here: http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2h.muzzleloader.htm

Chap
[*]Thanks Chap.[*]I'm in Pennsylvania but will mostly be hunting maryland.[*]tight woods in PA and wide open marsh in MD. I would like to see how comfortable I am with it and decide whether or not to buy a scope. To be honest I would be thrilled with an accurate 50 yard open sight weapon. I'm a bowhunter so double the range of my bow would be nice when muzzleloader overlaps bow season in MD.[*]not too interested in a traditional rifle[*]I will hunt and go to the range fairly often. I go to a gun club every few weeks.[*]Maybe 500 or less for the gun. I have leupolds on my rifles so I would probably go with one their muzzleloader scopes if I decide to use one.[*]I would mostly be hunting 40-100 lb sika deer in MD so I don't need much knockdown power. Less recoil the better. I normally shoot a 270 so something with recoil similar to that is comfortable. I have a 7mm mag that I can't stand shooting because of the recoil.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome to our group
TC and Knight have the best service and warrenty. The TC Triumph that walmart sells is the best but dollar for dollar.
Watching this forum for a few months is a good idea, dont spend your money untill you kown some of the things to avoid,
Be sure you know and understand the laws in every state you want to hunt in before you spend any money if you have any problem in this area post it here one of us will help you.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowfisherman[*]Thanks Chap.[*]I'm in Pennsylvania but will mostly be hunting maryland.[*]tight woods in PA and wide open marsh in MD. I would like to see how comfortable I am with it and decide whether or not to buy a scope. To be honest I would be thrilled with an accurate 50 yard open sight weapon. I'm a bowhunter so double the range of my bow would be nice when muzzleloader overlaps bow season in MD.[*]not too interested in a traditional rifle[*]I will hunt and go to the range fairly often. I go to a gun club every few weeks.[*]Maybe 500 or less for the gun. I have leupolds on my rifles so I would probably go with one their muzzleloader scopes if I decide to use one.[*]I would mostly be hunting 40-100 lb sika deer in MD so I don't need much knockdown power. Less recoil the better. I normally shoot a 270 so something with recoil similar to that is comfortable. I have a 7mm mag that I can't stand shooting because of the recoil.
Your welcome. I grew up in Pa, and still hunt FL season up there in January, so I am familiar with the laws. MD I know they have an extensive bow season that opens Sept 15, but don't know their rules on MLer. I know in Penna, that the MLer season for 1 week in October is does only and you can use inlines.

MLers are a lot of fun especially during the rut, they are 1 shot like a bow, but you can shoot up to 100 yards or with a scope 150-175 is possible. Based on what you said, because of both open fields and woods I am gonna recommend a 3x9 scope for the gun, most deer are shot at less than 100 yards. As for recoil, most 100g loads with 250g bullets are like shooting a 270, and if you shoot a 195g Barnes MZ (plenty enought for Sitka), then it would drop down to about a 243, which is very mild shooting gun.I think you will enjoy MLing. Enjoy, Best Wishes,
Chap
Old 11-30-2008, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

1. Keep reading the posts on this sight.
2. If you have some friends that shoot, accompany them to the range.
3. Go to a store that has a wide variety and shoulder a bunch.
4. Answer Chap's questions.
5. Buy a gun.... That's the easy part. Then you need to determine powder, projectile, caps, sabots.....

Enjoy and welcome to muzzleloading