Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

One less deer in MN

Old 11-30-2008, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default One less deer in MN

Yesterday morning I made it out to my stand about 6:45. I sat out there for a couple hours and didn't see anything. I could hear more shots in the area than I expected, so I figured that maybe they just weren't moving. I checked my watch at 9:05, then sat some more.

I had been watching the edge of a brush line that bordered a heavily grassed clearing that the deer had to cross to get back into the woods.Theonly other time I was in this stand all the deer that I had seencome out of the brush 10 to about 50 yardsfrom me. I was just getting ready to stand up and stretch a little when something caught my eye. Way down at the end of the clearing there was a doe and a fawn. They had come around from the back of the brush and were just getting ready to go into the woods.

I shouldered the Disc Extreme and lined up the sights on the lead doe. I was getting ready to fire and she stepped into the woods. I kept the Disc shouldered, trying to decide if I wanted to shoot a yearlingor let it go. About this time a big doe walked out behind the fawn and stopped broadside.I put my sights on her and pulled the trigger.There wasaslightwind in my face so it didn't take any time for the smoke to clear. I watched her drop and could seefrom the grass that she was kicking around pretty hard, then she stopped. Ithought I had a dead deer, butafter couple seconds shegot up and stumbled off.So, I tracked her foraboutan hour and a few hundred yards.Turns outI shot her in theneck andshe left a greatblood trail, except in one spot I lost the trail and it took me about 15 minutes to find it again. IknewI my gun was shootingto the left, but I figured I couldcompensate, and would just limit myself to about 75 yards at the most.When I got to where I shewas I looked back at my stand and it wasfarther than that. I don't have a rangefinder but tried to step it of and cameup with about 125 yards.

Anway, I got her cleanedout, and apparently she was pretty big for aMN whitetail.I'm happy -this was my first time hunting with a ML andmy first shot at a deer with one was successful. I was using 110 grs. of Pyrodex RS and a 240 gr. XTP in a green crush rib sabot.

Sorry this got a little long.

Vince
Old 11-30-2008, 07:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: One less deer in MN

Congrats! Any pics of your deer?

I also just got my first MZ deer this year and will admit it was a long time coming.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

So, I tracked her foraboutan hour and a few hundred yards.Turns outI shot her in theneck andshe left a greatblood trail, except in one spot I lost the trail and it took me about

You are to be commended for staying after that deer. Lots of folks just give up.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

No, no pictures. I wish now that I would have though. It's been pretty warm the las few days here, and yesterday after she was cleaned we didn't really have anywhere cool enough to put her. It was 40 in the garage where she would have gone, but the weather said more of the same was on the way. Go figure there's snow on the ground this morning. Anway, when we took her to get processed, there were 4 other deer there that we put mine next to, and only one of the bucks was even close to her body size.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for sharing! Congrats on the deer!
Old 11-30-2008, 07:43 AM
Spike

Good Job, Both on the kill and the follow up. On Thanksgiving I was in charge of the dinner as my Wife had to work. I was hunting behind my house in sometimes waist deep snow. I had heard a deer blatting and snorting below me all morning but with the crunchy snow I could do nothing until it walked by me. A very small button buck and hit badly. I could not get a slug through the brush, I tried. I new there was nobody following it so I took up the trail. 2 1/2 hours later and a very difficult stalk through waist deep snow with the deer looking in my direction I got to 10 yards and finished somebody else's mess. It was hit through the left quarter and gut shot. I did the right thing and tagged it with my only doe tag. I also gave the deer to the venison donation program for the homeless, as I was blessed with a dandy eight point first day. Anyway to the point, thanks for not giving up. Too all the other hunters out there don't give up on that deer, it's there somewhere. Nothing is more important, andlife can wait. The turkey was just as good on Friday. Doug.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:48 AM
mountaineer magic

Congrats on the deer. To bad it wasn't taken with a Buckmaster edition of the Genesis. You still have to get one of them you know. to start your ML collection

Old 11-30-2008, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks again. Thinking about it, that was the first time I've ever had to track a deer. First time I've ever gone hunting by myself, too. I've always had my dad there with me.

Vince
Old 11-30-2008, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the deer! Nice story, and way to go for staying with the deer and tracking it until you found it. Something similar happened to me while bow hunting- my friend shot a doe in the neck accidentally. At first we thought it just was a marginal hit and would survive, but we kept on tracking the blood trail and sure enough, we found it about 20 minutes later. Persistence pays off!
Old 11-30-2008, 09:43 AM
Dominant Buck

125 yards with open sights is good shooting. I want to commend you on sticking to the track. You knew you had good blood, and it was a matter of time. You just have to stick to it. Congratulation on the big doe.

Quick Reply: One less deer in MN

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.