Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need your help picking a new load for my Omega

Old 11-29-2008, 02:30 PM
Spike

Default Need your help picking a new load for my Omega

I've fought trying to get any Powerbelt to shoot worth a damn out of my Omega for 2 years now. Thought I had it but after missing a deer @ 35 yards I've had it with them. They just won't shoot consistantly. I'm now looking for a new bullet. So anybody please let me know what bullet and powder charge you are getting to group well with your Omega.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Need your help picking a new load for my Omega

treestandsnyper

See if you can get to this thead onanother sight - think I wrote quite abit in it. I also shoot an Omega.

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10867

If'n you can get there let me know and I'll try to copy some of it over here...

Old 11-29-2008, 02:39 PM
FG

sounds like a QLA problem as usual.

try a 250gr xtp in a black short mmp-24 sabot. 275gr parker hydracon in a mmp-12 sabot. 100gr powder * i use pyrodex rs)
Old 11-29-2008, 02:52 PM
Fork Horn

Try a 250 or 300 gr Shockwave with a Harvester short black sabot and 100 - 120 gr. of the powder of your choice. I have had great results with this load out of my Omega. You could also try a 300 gr .430 Hornady XTP with a Harvester Green Crush Rib sabot. I have heard good things about this load and the Omega. I have some but I haven't had the chance to try them yet. One of these loads should shoot very well in your gun. I think you will be much happier with one of these than you were with the powerbelts. Much better bullets.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

treestandsnyper

See if you can get to this thead onanother sight - think I wrote quite abit in it. I also shoot an Omega.

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10867

If'n you can get there let me know and I'll try to copy some of it over here...

Thanks for the link, yes it worked for me. I'm a member over there too. Nosler's are working for you. I've heard alot of good things about them.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: FG
sounds like a QLA problem as usual.
ok, call me stupid, but what is a QLA problem?[&:]
Old 11-29-2008, 03:06 PM
FG

tc often has QLA issues where they drill them off center or something and they puke when it comes to shooting conicals. The QLA is the unbored end of your barrel.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: SHulion
I think you will be much happier with one of these than you were with the powerbelts. Much better bullets.
I could load marbles or rocks from my drivewayin my Omega and be happier than I was with the Powerbelts...seriously they just plain sucked out of my TC. Shot the Powerbelts's fine out of my Traditions, CVA, and NEF muzzleloaders, but they wouldn't group in my Omega.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: FG

tc often has QLA issues where they drill them off center or something and they puke when it comes to shooting conicals. The QLA is the unbored end of your barrel.
Thanks for clearing that up for me...I'm a bowhunter mainly, but I've been shooting a muzzleloader for a few years now. Still got alot to learn in regards to muzzleloaders.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

treestandsnyper

Since you can get on over there you might check this thread also... The new SST/SW's might have a problem. I do not shoot them so i really do not know.

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10479

As another suggestion if you would prefer a less expensive bullet and a bullet you can afford to shoot at paper, check out the Speer Gold Dots. the .452/250 grain GD is a great performer on whitetail, and the .452/300 will work as well with a higher BC.

Quick Reply: Need your help picking a new load for my Omega

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.