Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need your help picking a new load for my Omega

Old 11-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Spike

Default RE: Need your help picking a new load for my Omega

I think I'm gonna go tomorrow and pick up some of the Nosler Partition-HG's. See how theyshoot thru the TC and hopefully get back out in the woods this next weekend, with a little more confidence than I had after the shooting Powerbelts.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Spike

sabotloader, another question for ya...what powder charge are you using with those 260 grain Nosler HP's? I have been using 2 50 grain Pyrodex pellets (100 gr. total).
Old 11-29-2008, 04:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

treestandsnyper

what powder charge are you using with those 260 grain Nosler HP's? I have been using 2 50 grain Pyrodex pellets (100 gr. total).
That will or should work just fine... I shoot T7 loose and I shoot 110 in the Omega, but for years I shot 100 grains.

Hope you have some sabots avaialble also. I shoot the HPH-24, I can shoot the the Short black harvester, but they are fairly tight. I can not even imagine that you might get the HPH-12 or MMP's short black down your barrel at all.

If you can find some Harvester black 'crush rib' that might be the best compromise to get started with.

Here is a pic of relative sizes of sabots... Normally Omega's have rater tight bore - mine is an older one and it is .502 which will allow me to get the 24 down - the newer Omega's are even a bit tighter than that.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:28 PM
Typical Buck

They will not shoot in my Omega either. Shoots most any saboted bullet I can stuff or hammer down the bore with good accuracy. My advise for a hunting bullet-Nosler 260 HG. Others do well with Gold Dots or Barnes You have an excellent rifle,don't cheap out on the bullets,you only need one per deer. Besides if you shoot power belts with pellets,you will spend more $$ than I do with my "expensive" boolets

Charlie
Old 11-30-2008, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had just about given up on my Omega shooting conicals until I tried the new Hornady FPB. That and blackhorn 209 works well, but it is the ONLY thing that has shot well (conical wise) out of it. They may or may not shoot out of your particular Omega. I would stay in the 80-110 range on powder. More than adequate for deer. My elk load this year was 90 gr of BH 209 with the FPB. Put a big cow elk down in short order.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

txhunter58
Have you heard of any TC that wont shoot the FPB with BH209?
I know some CVA dont do well with them, one of the members of our shooting club brought one to me said that it would not, but when I checked it out the breach plug was cracked, when BP was replaced with a good one it shot ok. Told him to keep that CVA on the other end of the line from me. Lee
Old 12-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Spike

i shoot 250 gr. black sabot shockwaves out of my omega with 3 pellets and it shoots an honest 1.5 in. at 100 yards, have 4 friends who shoot the same set up (some with 2 pellets) all with similar results