Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

First ML deer, finally!

Old 11-28-2008, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default First ML deer, finally!

Well it took a while but I finally got it done. Took this doe Wednesday morning on our80 acresin northern lower Michigan. She came in with a button buck in hot pursuit. Shot was slight quartering away 65 yards or so. CVA Optima Pro, 348 gr Powerbelt AT in front of 110 gr. of APP 2F. Pass through with little to no expansion, same size hole in and out. Little concerned about that, may switch to different bullet before MZ season starts up.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:48 PM
FG

Default RE: First ML deer, finally!

Congrats!

Nice rifle i like the black fleck thumbhole stock. Bullet hit any rib bones?
Old 11-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

Only hit a rib on the exit side. Hole was at most just a touch bigger, hard to measure they were that close in size.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:55 PM
FG

Well thats very good to see the 348 doing the job. Im sure if it had gone through the shoulder it easily would have expanded a lot more.

Details on how things went after the shot? Interested in how she acted after being hit.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

Well she ran about 80 yards and I honestly did not think I hit her until I went to check for blood and hair. She showed no sign of being hit. No blood for 25-30 yards, then massive blood spray on both sides of the trail. Found her and she was still alive, could not believe it. Like I said shot was quartering away, destroyed the liver and back edge of the lungs, as well as grazing the front of the paunch. The paunch looked as if a scalpael had just very neatly opened a small incision on the front of it.

My brother in-law actually called me to say he could see her and she was dead. Watched her just stop running and fall over. Then he said nope she lifted her head up after laying on her side for over a minute and not moving. Weird to say the least, she did expire shortly afterwards. I have to say that these animals never cease to amaze me. Some seem to fall over with just the slightest of wounds and others can be run over by a truck and keep on going.

My father in-law shot a doe about 30 minutes after this one with a .44 Mag at 30 yards, destroyed the heart(looked like jelly)and one front shoulder and she still went 100 yards.

Z
Old 11-28-2008, 08:11 PM
FG

It is amazing what they can and will do. Good hunt and story, now dig in and enjoy the meat!
Old 11-28-2008, 09:10 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the harvest! Good eats!
Old 11-28-2008, 09:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Deer are easy to penetrate but they take a lot of killing. Congratulations on the doe.. that's a nice big one.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice doe congrats. Good shot to....
Old 11-29-2008, 05:27 AM
Typical Buck

Nice going Z-Now you are in real trouble Hooked on MZ

Charlie

Quick Reply: First ML deer, finally!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.