Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Accura, who's got one?

Old 11-28-2008, 10:05 PM
FG

Default RE: CVA Accura, who's got one?

ive seen up to 500gr but when you lower your charge down to 70gr, it doesnt build up the pressure like if u were using 100gr.
same with the 375gr sabots.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I sure like the way it shoulders and looks but I cant have one.
I have the Encore and really feel no need to get another now but it would be a contender for sure.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chris, yes. CVA says no more than 100 grains loose powder and no heavier than a 400 grain conical or a 300 grain sabot'd bullet. I would take that to mean one could possibly shoot a 400 grain conical atop 100 grains of FFFg Triple Seven and still be in compliance with owner's manual specifications. That would be atorturous load for most anyone.

There has to be some flexibility in those numbers and how they are applied. A sensible conclusion (at least to my senses) would be that a heavier conical can be used so long as a conservative adjustment is made in powder charge.

Mark Hendricks of CVA was at the House of Eibar in Spain and saw the aftermath of a load tested in an Accura. He refers to a young technician in the following: "With a load of 600 grains of Triple 7 and 3 PowerBelt 444gr bullets he managed to blow the heck out of the barrel and damaged the fixture in the areas of the arrows. The frame was completely undamaged and showed to be fully in spec on the 3-D testing equipment." I have no reason to doubt the accuracy of his statement but it would have been nice to know at what level of charge that rifle was able to sustain the charge without any damage at all.

Perhaps half that amount of powder?? I won't be shooting even that load so I think the 416R stainless barrel of the Accura will hold nicely.

Now, someone show me in data from TC where it says 120 grains of Blackhorn209 is safe to shoot in an Endeavor.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

UC

With that explanation let me take it a step further, according to BPI/CVAI can use 150 grains of pellets with the max bullet weight of 300 grains in a sabot or 400 grains with a conical - so then why can not you use110/20 grains of loose with either. The logic of your explanation makes sense but the math does not fit the BPI/CVA written statement

I think you are reading into the BPI/CVA's what you want it to say or applying what a sensible person might think, BUT will CVA or the courts stand behind that logic.And with your love of Lawyers - I think you as logical person already know the answer to that also.

You and I know what the Whites were tested to and what they can withstand, yet if you call Doc and talk to him - he will always recommend you stay within the guidelines for your own safety.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:18 AM
Dominant Buck

When people read max loads from manufacturers, I am sure those are loads that they are almost certain, safe. In other words if people do not exceed them then there is no danger of a malfunction or more important, danger to the shooter. I believe most rifles can and would handle more, but there is really no need to advertise such a fact.

Then to add a kicker to all that, Hodgdon's goes and recommends a 100 grain recommendation on their powders then turns around and produces magnum Triple Se7en pellets. So where is the logic in that?
Old 11-29-2008, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't answer to ANY gunmaker's rational on specifying load restrictions. For example, can I shoot 40 grains of powder behind a roundball? In many cases, the manufacturers also specify a MINIMUM charge. Does that mean it is a hard and fast rule? I don't think so.

I have no doubts about the material quality of these CVA Accura I own. That's all I can say. I'll leave it to the lawyers and the sue-happy folks to argue semantics and legalities. CVA says lifetime warranty and I expect they mean just that. That is good enough for me.

Meanwhile, we have a lot of people shooting 120 grains of Blackhorn 209while there is ZERO rifle manufacturer's guidance for use of that powder (so far as I know). I guess I fail to see the major issue with CVA's 3 pellets vs 100 grains loose when almost ALL load data presented by powder makers and rifle makers is confusing at best. So far as I am concerned, I CAN also shoot 120 grains of BH209 in my Accura so long as I'm using a lighter bullet, say 250 grains or less (which is the only way I would even consider that much of a charge).

Whites are incredibly strong and simple rifles, and you know that I do enjoy my Whites,but did you know that a fellow experienced a blown barrel? The old HA postings are gone, else I would link you to his report. Much of the bias against CVA was well earned, but the newer models with the Bergara barrels do not belong in the same briar patch, IMHO.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:11 AM
FG

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

UC

With that explanation let me take it a step further, according to BPI/CVAI can use 150 grains of pellets with the max bullet weight of 300 grains in a sabot or 400 grains with a conical - so then why can not you use110/20 grains of loose with either. The logic of your explanation makes sense but the math does not fit the BPI/CVA written statement

I think you are reading into the BPI/CVA's what you want it to say or applying what a sensible person might think, BUT will CVA or the courts stand behind that logic.And with your love of Lawyers - I think you as logical person already know the answer to that also.

You and I know what the Whites were tested to and what they can withstand, yet if you call Doc and talk to him - he will always recommend you stay within the guidelines for your own safety.
Sabotloader, have you been reading RW articles? The problem back in those days with cvas exploding was due to a faulty breech plug design. Same thing that happened with the savage smokless muzzleloader.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

UC

It still boils down to that BPI/CVA is more restrictive than any other modern ML on the market, even you if were to buy one of the new bergara barrels for your Encore - by written information you are going back wards as you can not with assurance shoot the recommended loads by TC you must backup to the loads recommended by BPI/CVA.

The consumer really should not be held to different standards - you have logically worked yourself around the BPI/CVA limits, but doing so are you telling the rest of the public forget manufacture's recommendation and go ahead and be logical, cause Mark said that they will be OK for higher/heavier loads?

You already know I think, because of your recommendations. that the Accura is probaly the best ML that BPI/CVA has ever produced, but it limits put it lower than any other modern ML on the market - including Traditions... Even with my old Renegades - I can shoot a wider variety of approved loads and bullets than a brand new Accura. Makes no sense...

Your example of a blown White and FG's blown Savage only goes to show that any gun can blow - including an Accura - but if you are within the manufactures recommendations - you have recourse - out side those andno lifetime warranty is going to save you if you blow a finger or hand hand off.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

Chris

I purchased an accura on October 29th from Cabelas and still have not shot it. I can say that I am well pleased with the rifle and plan to sight it in before our muzzleloader season opens on the 15th of December. I do not plan on shooting over 100 grains of loose powder in mine so I could care less about magnum loads of three 50 grain pellets. 80 or 90 grains of loose powder with the right bullet placed in the boiler room of a deer will do the job.

WV Mountaineer
Old 11-29-2008, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

I appreciate the opinions. Thanks.

Quick Reply: CVA Accura, who's got one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.