Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

"Shorty" strikes again!

Old 11-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default "Shorty" strikes again!

Awhile back, I posted on a Javelina hunt with my sawed-off .45Kentucky rifle, "Shorty". To date, that lone, unlucky Javelina was the only game I'd harvested with that little gun.

Thanksgiving morning, I got a shot at this little cull-buck (crab-claw horns) at about 8:00 AM. The distance was abt 65 yds.

Normally, I like to use traditional projectiles with my sidelocks, but this gun likes to shoot a 200 gn .40 Hornady XTP in a blue, Harvester sabot over 44 gns of XXX Triple 7. Clocked velocity is 1410 fps, measured 10 feet from the muzzle. I figure it's about like a stiff .41 magnum load...

First, there's the sense of doubt and uncertainty ("Well, did I miss another one?!)while you wait the 10-15 minutes for all the damned smoke to clear...

But then, to see your deer allin a pile, right where he was standing when you shot and deader than lard, well, for me,it just doesn't get any better than that.

Dang! I love those smokepoles! Smallest deer I've shot in awhile, but for me, it's a trophy. Me an' Shorty, we're satisfied with it.

No bullet to show this time as it was a shoot-through, with everything pretty well scrambled-up between the holes.

Hope everyone had as good a Thanksgiving as I did!

BP
Old 11-28-2008, 08:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: "Shorty" strikes again!

Congratulations on the deer. That's a sweet looking little rifle.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Brushpopper,

It looks like you were blessed with an extra reason to thankful yesterday. Congratulations on a successful hunt. Those yearling bucks make some of best eating. There is no need to pass one up unless one is looking for a wall mount. One doesn't need a house full of those either (but blessed be those want a house full).

That's an interesting load. Alot of folks here would be surprised how effective 40 grains of powder can be. The most effective load is the one that hits where it needs to. Not a lot of "extra dead" in 150 grains. The projectile was likely traveling around 1220 fps at impact and it just adds another layer of credence to the effectiveness (for both penetration and killing power) of modest impact velocities.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congratulations, that is a very effective bullet. Lee
Old 11-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the deer. That is a neat looking rifle.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on your deer, nice looking rifle
Old 11-28-2008, 08:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

ditto on the deer and the rifle.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats nice looking gun
Old 11-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

As the other guys have said- that is a sweeeeeet looking rifle! Awesome story too. I just love those 200 grain XTP's- they seem to work well over a wide range of velocities. Thinking of working up a load for my dad with them and 65 grains of 777 or so - he has a bum shoulder and can't handle much recoil.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Pglasgow

That's an interesting load. Alot of folks here would be surprised how effective 40 grains of powder can be. The most effective load is the one that hits where it needs to. Not a lot of "extra dead" in 150 grains.
Couldn't agree more, and withShorty weighing abt 41/2 lbs, that's abt all of the recoil I need.

Reminds me of theold saying:

"Englishmansees elephant. Englishmanraises his express-rifle and shoots at elephant. Elephant falls down. Englishman falls down. The first one to get to his feet is the winner. If neitherget up, their possessions are divided according to the laws of the jungle..."
BP