Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Remington Genesis a good starter gun?

Old 11-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Spike

Default Remington Genesis a good starter gun?

I have been toying with the idea of buying a muzzleloader for a couple years now. I am an avid archer and have just kept putting it off.

However, my local Gander Mountain has a camo remington Genesis w/ thumbhole stock and a stainless barrel.

Heresa link:

[link]http://gandermountain.shoplocal.com/gandermountain/default.aspx?action=browsepagedetail&storeid=24804 16&rapid=618813&pagenumber=1&listingid=-2090726719&ref=%2fgandermountain%2fdefault.aspx%3f action%3dbrowsepagespread%26storeid%3d2480416%26ra pid%3d618813%26pagenumber%3d1%26prvid%3dGanderMT-081127POP%26promotioncode%3dGanderMT-081127POP[/link]

I think this is a heck of a deal. Should I jump on this or are there things about this gun I should know first?

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Remington Genesis a good starter gun?

The Genesis is better than a 'starter' gun. Granted it isn't the best ML out there, but it aint bad. You may want to search through this forum on the articles and accuracy these rifles are capable of.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Check Cabela's website as well and see if they still have any of their deals going. They were selling the Genesis as well. I bought a stainless steel model and could not be happier with the rifle. We have to use a 1x scope in our state, but even with that and 100 grains of Pyrodex P with a 300 grain Speer HP on top, it will shoot better then I am able to.

That load would probably stop a moose by the way. Sabotloader was telling me about the quality of that bullet I shoot, and needless to say, I was impressed.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Spike

Thanks. I guess I was just wondering if the $249.99 was a good price. I did a search and found guys getting the ones with the blued barrels for $100 bucks, so maybe it isn't such a bargain. However, I want the thumbhole and stainless, so I don't think it's too bad for that.

It is either this gun or an Omega Z5.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:10 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Check Cabela's website as well and see if they still have any of their deals going. They were selling the Genesis as well. I bought a stainless steel model and could not be happier with the rifle. We have to use a 1x scope in our state, but even with that and 100 grains of Pyrodex P with a 300 grain Speer HP on top, it will shoot better then I am able to.

That load would probably stop a moose by the way. Sabotloader was telling me about the quality of that bullet I shoot, and needless to say, I was impressed.
I'll take a look. I saw where you posted that you wouldn't take a shot more than 50 yards. Is that because of that load and would you use a different load if you wanted to shoot out to 150?
Old 11-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Where I hunt, my shots I might encounter would never be over 50 yards. With the load I currently have the Genesis tuned to, and if I had good optics and practice, I'd use that load out to 200 yards if every thing was right. 100 grains of powder is a lot more powerful them many people might think. And that Speer HP I shoot is made to hold together, expand, and not fragment.

That's 70 yards with my 1x32mm scope. The rifle was doing a good job.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

nstrut

Check this one.. Thumb hole wood stock

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0065160217017a&type=product&cm Cat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=remington+muzzleloader+bushma ster&Ntk=Products&sort=all&Go.y=6& _D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&_D%3Asort=+&Nty=1&amp ;hasJS=true&Go.x=17&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen %2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

Old 11-26-2008, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, that's the one I'm going to get (my 2nd Genesis) but the last time I talked to Cabela's they said they were selling what they had and not getting anymore. That link says it's on backorder. hmmm I might have to call tomorrow and see....

nstrut, to answeryour question, yes that's a good deal and I wouldn't hesitate buying it if I were you.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:00 AM
Spike

Thanks guys! That's a beauty of a gun. I missed that when I was looking at the Cabela's site earlier. I'll check on the backorder status also. I was looking at these last year and the prices now are great compared to then.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Old 11-27-2008, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nstrut

I have been toying with the idea of buying a muzzleloader for a couple years now. I am an avid archer and have just kept putting it off.

However, my local Gander Mountain has a camo remington Genesis w/ thumbhole stock and a stainless barrel.

Heresa link:

http://gandermountain.shoplocal.com/gandermountain/default.aspx?action=browsepagedetail&storeid=2 480416&rapid=618813&pagenumber=1&listi ngid=-2090726719&ref=%2fgandermountain%2fdefault.asp x%3faction%3dbrowsepagespread%26storeid%3d2480416% 26rapid%3d618813%26pagenumber%3d1%26prvid%3dGander MT-081127POP%26promotioncode%3dGanderMT-081127POP

I think this is a heck of a deal. Should I jump on this or are there things about this gun I should know first?

Thanks!
That is a very good deal for a beautiful MLer to get you started., stainless is good, since it doesn't rust as easily I also wasan avid archer back in my 30s, 40s and 50's, and have turned to MLers for the same 1 shot experience as archery, quite a bit more range with a MLer, but the fun of only 1 shot and waiting for the perfect shot makes it a very similar experience to archery. I think you will enjoy MLing if you enjoy archery. I use a MLer now in rifle season and do not feel 1 bit "under gun", especially with a Savage shooting 300g Barnes bullets to 2350 fps. My growing up in MLing started 10 years ago with a Knight Disc (my 15 year old son got me into it by talking to guys at a local gun shop), then a TC Omega (5 years later), then a TC Flintlock (3 years ago)then a Savage 10ML2 (last year), then a CVA percussion with a 50 and 54 cal barrel (this year). The fun thing about MLing is 1 shot and they are very accurate, basically same ballistics as a 45/70 rifle, which is the perfect woods rifle in my opinion (Marlin Guide Gun is an example).
Chap

Quick Reply: Remington Genesis a good starter gun?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.