Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

help!

Old 11-25-2008, 11:43 PM

Default help!

need help: I shoot an apex, it has been great in the past, now i am having a wanderng zero. it is topped with aVeri x II in 3-9x40. it holds its groups but the next on may be off by 8 or more inches at 50 yards. i have missed 2 so far this year with it and just bairly clipped the leg on another. did get it right the first time out this year and ended up with a large button buck. am i thinking right that it may be the weaver rings or rails?
help!
Old 11-26-2008, 12:30 AM
FG

Default RE: help!

sounds like powder or a scope issue. Have open sights you can try?
Old 11-26-2008, 01:43 AM

well yes and no, yes i have another scope i can try if the thing floats all over again. as far as the powder, no. same jug of 777. i kinda like the stuff and have a few pounds here. all the prior shooting has been done with the same can of 777.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Crisis Cowboy

need help: I shoot an apex, it has been great in the past, now i am having a wanderng zero. it is topped with aVeri x II in 3-9x40. it holds its groups but the next on may be off by 8 or more inches at 50 yards. i have missed 2 so far this year with it and just bairly clipped the leg on another. did get it right the first time out this year and ended up with a large button buck. am i thinking right that it may be the weaver rings or rails?
help!
Your open can/box of 777 has lost it power. Same thing happened to my brother this year, they were sighting in his gun for opening day in NY and he got his 777 pellets out and was all over the target, even missing several times.

My other brother, more experienced in MLing, put a 777 pellet on a piece of paper towel and lit it, it hardly lit and didn't go boom, took a couple more of them out of the container and pushed down on them and they crumbled. So they switched to Pyrodex RS pellets 100g after taking off the scope and tightening all screws (they initially thought it was a loose scope) and tighten things back up and boom, dead center with 2 shots at 80 yards. Good enough for hunting in dense NY woods. You must totally seal the 777 pellets in a plastic bag and keep them away for both sunlight and moisture. I use loose and place Saran wrap over the open can and screw it totally shut.

Chap

Old 12-03-2008, 01:34 PM

thanks for the insight, I guess I left out that it was a ned jug of 777. I have tried the pellets as well as loose P. I just didnt get groups as good as with the loose 777. I ended up taking it to my local gunsmith and as it turns out the rear scope mount screw had started to strip. the screws were short. it seems they were only a few threads in. longer screws and a retapping job and hopefully it will be back to its old self. also the 777 I was useing was from a new this year jug, and i do seal it with plastic wrap.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Dominant Buck

I would have all the bases and rings checked over real close. Somewhere, something moved. And just to double check my powder, pick up or open an new jug and see if things improve. Good luck.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like the issue is resolved. Consider some loc-tite on the mounting and ring screws, the kind that allows for removal.