Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

.25 ACP

Old 11-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default .25 ACP

I have been looking into getting one for my new TC encore. Is it truely better than the 209 primer? Is priming the .25 acpfairly easy that a cave man could do it? I guess i would need to know what i would need to get started with it. Priming Tool...and maybe some steps.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: .25 ACP

Hey KC. I converted my Lyman Mustang to .25 ACP and have been happy with it. I was getting significant fouling in the breech area with 209s and the ACPs just about eliminated that, but not completely. I believe the ACPs also give me a little better groups. With the 209s I would get flyers insomething like one out of five shots. They wereway out there, maybe four inches or so from the main group.I don't get thoses any more.But to be honest I can't sware it's because of the ACPs. I used the 209s when the gun was quite new -for the first 100 shots or so, and then started with the ACPs. So maybe it was just a factor of the barrel getting broken in.

I use CCI 500 Small Pistol Primers in mine. I like them and haven't gone back to my 209 breech plug. But, as you know, every gun is different.

There is a certain amount of hassle associated with the ACPs. Yes, you will need a priming tool. I use a Lee Auto-Prime. They're inexpensive and work very well. You also have to clean the fired brass a little. They don't have to be shiney clean, just get the major fouling off of them.I knock the primers out of the fired cases with a small pin punch by putting the case in a socket and tapping the primer out.It's quick and easy.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have one thanks to Utah Rob
It works great and I use it when I'm not shooting BH 209
Considerably less fouling
Old 11-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I already have a reloading press so I just decap them with a universal decapping die. I have used the hammer and punch method too, a bit harder but no big deal. Unless you shoot a TON it will not take you long. The Lee capper works well and is indeed pretty cheap.

The advantages I noticed are:
1) elimination of 777 crud ring
2) less blowback
3) slightly greater accuracy (fewer flyers?)
4) ease of manipulating primers with cold hands - pull out with fingernail on rim, they stay put once in (unlike short 209s). I always ended up fumbling the 209s down into the action -- but not the 25s.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:37 AM

I use one on my Encore. Is it worth it?... for me it is. I shoot a LOT. If your primary goal is to shoot less then 20 shots a year then it might not be good value to you. I shoot several hundred shots through my Encore every year.

The difference to me is... just look at your breech and your hands after shooting your gun at the range 10-20 times. With the .25acp you won't have all that fouling and crud. You will still need to clean your breech but its NOTHING like before with the 209's. Accuracy?... I think its better. That 209 is way too powerful and there are some people who say it can push your charge and bullet before it ignites the powder. All I know if my groups at 100 meters and 125 meters are way better then before.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

saxman1
I have a friend using a 25APC with small rifle mag primers in it with BH209 so far so good. There is also a club member that is using a cut down 6mm case with large rifle primers in a 700 Rem conversion built to use smokeless but he says that the BH shoots best. Lee
Old 11-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the info. I'm thinking I'll get it...its worth a shot, or two.I shoot about 100 shots plus a year.I've shot the heck out of my CVA wolf, and I just ordered a Pro hunter frame with the reg 26" in ss barrel.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:21 AM
Typical Buck

You can make your own with a drill press and an L drill bit and a caliper. Semi made his own I think he put me on to how to do it I now have made two