Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Your Very First Shot With A Muzzleloader???

Old 11-20-2008, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Your Very First Shot With A Muzzleloader???

My first was about 3 years ago. I was out in MN visiting my inlaws and we were there during opening day of ML season. My father-in-law asked me if I wanted to use one of his to go out hunting on their land. I told him I'd never shot one and didn't have much interest in one. Why should I? They're old, dirty and very inferior to anything modern. But he talked me into trying one shot, sowe took his Knight Wolverine out back. And the rest, as they say, is history. I went home with that Wolverine, I now have a KRB and have my eye on a DISC Extreme.

Vince
Old 11-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Typical Buck

many years ago....in cub scouts....and old percussion cap rifle....double triggers.........didnt fire one again until I borrowed a cheap traditions inline to take my first deer with
Old 11-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wasn't my first time, but I also shot at one of those Silver Dollar City demos. After the shot I told the guy his rifle was shooting a little bit to the right.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Must have been in the early to mid 90's, I can't remember exactly.A friend on mine from work who did a lot of hunting asked me if I would be interested in going on a ML hunt with him and a few others. I told him I didn't have a muzzleloader and had never shot one. He said no problem, he had a friend that would let me borrow his extra gun and all I needed was a tag, so I got one and headed to camp. All I remember about the gun was that it was a sidelock percussionin 50 cal. He had already loaded it and gave me a few caps just in case I lost one (which I did). He didn't even give me an extra speed loader or anything else, just one shot. Unfortunately, I didn't see any deer that day and had to head home the next morning. We did go to the local range during the mid day and I got to shoot it once, it was a blast and I got to thinking this could be fun. I didn't get my own gun (a CVA Magbolt) until almost 10 years later. Since then I have accumilated 8+ front stuffers, half inline, half traditional (4 of them I bought for my 2kids, 1SL 1IL each). I confess, I'm hooked big time.