Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting the 54. and other.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shooting the 54. and other.

Nearly out of my favorite 54 cal sabots and 50 cal. 300gr.hp gold dots (only 3 left).
Decided I could just sight in with some knight sabots and use the 300gr. gold dots I shoot in the 50 cal.
Just was not my day to shoot worth a hoot.
3 shot ragged hole.

Now just hold on there. that was from 25 yards as I just couldn't seem to hit the target at all from 50 yards. I sure don't know why either since I was useing a rest. One of those days when I couldn't hit the broad side of the barn inside with the door closed.

I shot this little buck this morning. He just stood there for about 5 minutes then went and attacked a bush before finally laying down. He layed there about a half hour than some damm dogs came and chased himoff.Called the neighbours and told them I had video of them(dogs) doing it so they might want to control them better as I would call animal control next time or the DNR.

Shot with my Kodak Z812IS at 35 yards ruff guess.

Al
Old 11-18-2008, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting the 54. and other.

Strange that you could not hit at 50 but were shooting a group at 25. No clues here.
Nice looking little feller there. I have snow here too but can't hunt until Saturday. It's driving me nuts.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Dominant Buck

I get days where I can stack them at one distance and then not hardly hit paper at another. Next time out everything is back to normal. I do not understand why that happens either.

Nice pictures of that little buck. I think I asked you once before about your camera as it sure takes excellent photographs.

And I know all about neighbor's dogs. My neighbor had a German Shepard and nothing against the breed, but that dog was aggressive. The last thing you wanted was to be caught in the woods unarmed by that thing. I was sitting in a stand hunting when it came by chasing a deer, so on the way home I stopped at the neighbors houseand told him to tie that thing up or else. He then had the nerve to tell me it was not his dog. So being the considerate person I am, I apologized for insinuating his dog was at large. He then smiled and I told him not to worry because I see that dog again running my property at least I know I'm not going to be shooting his dog. He then begged me not to shoot his children's dog.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well, it looks like you'll just have to get within 25 yards of your quary.

I know all about dog problems. We've had a couple running on our lease every morning and afternoon this season that are causing us fits. You can be watching a couple of does on a food plot, waiting for a buck to step out. If someone shoots on the next plot over those does don't even lift their heads. But let those dogs start driving anywhere on the lease and the deer vacate the plot.

My brother-in-law caught a picture of them on his game camera. We've named them "Target 1" and "Target 2".

Old 11-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

Unaccompanied dogs and 'yotes in the woods are legitimate targets.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Michigan shooting some ones dog is a huge NO NO.
My uncle runs a beef farm, During calving season a few years back he sees to couple German shepards after one of his fresh born calves. He grabbs his rifle and shoots one and kills it on the spot. The second one is running and gets wounded and runs home. The dogs owner back track the blood and find my uncle hualing the dead one to dispose of it. Uncle gets sued for taking the law into his own hands. Pays $1000.00 to the dogs owners for the one he killed pays another $500.00 for the one that needed vet attention Plus a fine to the court of $250.00. Lawyers fees and court cost ran him another $3000.00.
Nope ain't shooting some ones dog when the law is supposed to take care of it.
The camera pictureis proof.

As far as the shooting I believe my heart just couldn't get into it. It was misty raining windy but not so strong it should have effected the groups.
I think I just kept jerking the trigger maybe, didn't have a good mount on the stock. I don't know but this rifle shoots great normally.

Al
Old 11-19-2008, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some days just don't work. I think that's all there is to it.

As for dogs, I was just reading the MN hunting regs and there's few paragraphs in them. In a nutshell, it says if you see a dog chasing or harrassing deer, you can shoot it and you can't get in trouble for it.

Vince
Old 11-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

What I've done with dogs lurking in my hunting area is shoot right in front of them, splashing dirt and rocks all over them. They will generally vacate the premises. Last time I did that I had several deer come in to the food plot with in half an hour, with the dogs around they vanish. The deer in the areas I was hunting are use to shots being fired and don't normally react unless the shot was close to them.