Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Unloading HR Sidekick

Old 11-17-2008, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default Unloading HR Sidekick

Hello,

I have an inline HR Sidekick. To unload it the manual says for safety not to unscrew the breach plug that you need to fire it into a safe backstop or remove the barrell and dunk the barrell in water for 30 minutes. My question, is has someone gotten hurt by unscrewing a breach plug on a charged inline muzzleloader? Or have the attorneys gotten involved and anything possible that could hurt you they advise not to do. I would really prefer not to have to shot and clean my muzzleloader to unload it, but at the that same time I don't want to get injured. What are you'lls thoughts?

Cheers,
Chris
Old 11-17-2008, 01:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Unloading HR Sidekick

Well being that the H&R is a break open design, you can follow the manufacturers instructions which is to take it down and put the breach end of the barrel in hot water for 30 mins. Then you can unscrew your breach plug and push out the load. Then you can swab the bore in the hot water and dry and treat.
IMO - You should clean it anyway regardless whether you've fired the load out or not. Even unburned powder that isn't removed will attract moisture from the air and can cause corrosion.
If it were me and my rifle - I would just shoot it. Heck, you're going to have to clean it anyway so why not have a practice shot while you're at it. It will either build confidence with your rifle or show that you need to practice more.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:16 PM
Dominant Buck

I have taken the breech plug out of inlines and pushed the load out and so far.. so good.

But like Bronko, I find it easier to shoot the thing off, and just clean the gun. If there is only one round fired through them, they are not really all that dirty and are easy to clean.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

I guess they are concerned that unscrewing the breechplug could somehow set off the charge, though I've never heard of that happening and have done it on occasion with my Mustang. Still, I'd worry about it since they specifically say don't do it. Instead of dunking it, shoot a charge of WD40 into the flash hole. That would kill the powder for sure.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

Everyone thanks for your replies.

Bronko - I like your thoughts that I should shoot it to get practice. I have not thought about the gun needing cleaning even if I don't shoot it. I am going hunting this Sunday so when I am am done (assuming I don't shot at game) I will find a stump and see if the aim is good. Then I will see how bad it is to clean the gun with only one round fired through it. I have only cleaned after a day at the range shooting about 15 shots.

Cayugad - Thanks for your response.

Semisane - WD40 interesting. That stuff is good for everything.

Cheers,
Chris