Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Indiana Opening Weekend....

Old 11-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default Indiana Opening Weekend....

WOW. What a weekend for our Shotgun deer season to begin. Saturday it poured down rain ALL DAY LONG and was windy. The rain did turn to sleet a few times only to turn back to rain. Sunday it was very cold and the wind was blowing 20+ miles per hour with gusts well above that. This morning I am all pumped up to go sit in my stand and click on the light to see it snowing like crazy, with a nice thick dusting of white on the ground already and still coming down strong.

Usually on opening day it sounds like people playing war in my area, with shots ringing from everywhere. So far this year in my 4 trips out, I have heard well less than a dozen shots all together.

I was wanting so bad to try those FPB's out for size.......I keep telling myself...good things come to those who wait!
Old 11-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Indiana Opening Weekend....

Hang in there.. it has to get better. And good luck to you and them FPB's. Shoot a big one and give us a real time range report..

I was going to sight in a new scope today but the wind is howling, its snowing, cold, even blew my wind proof target over.. I decided it can wait for another day. I came back in the house, and threw three chunks of oak in the stove and opened the drafts a little.. Life is good.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

You could hunt today but decided not to because it's snowing??

Nothing better than a hunt in the snow. If they aren't moving on their own, still-hunt them. Falling snowflakes, maybe a little snow camo, you can get right on top of them!
Old 11-17-2008, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

Uncle Norby,

OH NO, I ain't smart enough to stay in the house. I was out there in that white stuff...LOL I seen 2 sets of does, but nothing close enough to shoot. I wouldn't have shot them anyhow, but they didn't know that.

I may not be able to kill one in the stand, but I darn sure can't on the sofa or in bed. It's all good once the feeling comes back to your face and feet.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Cold here too! Got down to 58 last night.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Semisane

Cold here too! Got down to 58 last night.
That's called summer in this neck of the woods.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well then,that's good. I know a lot of guys that won't hunt if the conditions are not "right" for stands. To each his own, but I really like mixing it up with still-hunting.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

sat was the opener here in mi. Heard someone shoot a "hangfire" mz. Turned out it was the owners son-in-law. He shot a nice 8-pt, 19" spread. Used t7 pellets, 250 shockwave. Knocked him down, got up went over the hill towards the pond. He follows the deer, see's it asit jumps into the pond, statrs swimming. 1/2 way across it goes in circles, starts sinking. The young man peels off his clothes and jumps in after it!! 34 degrees, stiff nw wind!! gets the deer, his buddy gets soaked dragging him and the deer out!!! Needless to say , had the wood stove going in the tent. Those young guys are tough!!
Old 11-17-2008, 03:53 PM
Dominant Buck

That swimming in the winter time is for the birds. I did a little of that in my younger years. And one opening day of trout season right after the ice was off the lake and the boat sunk.. Not fun.