Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Broken Record about Power Belts (long read)

Old 11-16-2008, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default Broken Record about Power Belts (long read)

Well this weekend was opening day of muzzleloading here in the "Northwest Season" of North Carolina. I was armed with a Thompson Center Encore, 3x9x40 Nikon Pro Staff, 2 50cal 50gr pellets (100gr) of 777 and 295gr Aero Tip Power Belts.

To make a long story short, I got in a hurry and didnt look at the rack and shot a buck Id passed on 3 different times in bow season (oh well). Shot placement turned out to be great, but results weren't. One shot through the shoulder at 90-100yds and it fragmented upon exitand one prior to that, just behind the shoulder that left an 'ok' exit. A third shot (and I dont know which order each bullet hit) that missed?

First shot, solid rest, 80ish yards, didnt act hit. Deer kind of trots away then walks and stops. Watching through the scope I see no blood. I reload (still havent looked at the rack), solid rest, 100ish yards, deer kind of trots away then walks down to the corn pile at the edge of the woods and stands there kind of hunched up, then procedes to get a bite to eat???. Reloaded in dismay and luckily he is turned at a decent angle,get a solid rest,shoot again, fearing a gut shot since he was hunched up, and wanted to put him down asap. Deer trots over into the woods, tail down, heard a THUMP that time. Other deer stands there, eating corn, and then stays around for about 5min before leaving.

Got to point of impact and saw white hair. Hmmm looks like belly hair. Look for blood, nothing. Go over into the woods and luckily find him laying just 15-20yds in the woods. No blood to impact.

The shot in the shoulders took out the heart, and the shot behind the shoulder got both lungs. I cant for the life of me figure out, with the exception of him standing hunched that one time and then after the other shot, hopping into the woods with his tail down, why he didnt act hit. A deer that size (120lbs) which is decent for his age, around here, didnt get floored with a 295gr bullet. I have shot a deer with the hollow point Power Belts, dropped in it's tracks, but was a spine shot, not a good indicator of performance.

I guess 100gr is too hot for optimal performance at that range? Exit hole wasnt what I had expected from a polymere tipped bullet, especially of that size. I think I will go back to my ole Hornady XTP saboted bullets. Or another tried and true recommendation.

Am I asking too much? Or should I shoot another deer with them before making assumptions. Deer was dead, but Im not sure what would have happened had I not made the follow up shots. Like said, I hit 2 of 3 times, the first two didnt act hit, and the last one SOUNDED like a hit, but I found white hair.

Thank you. Sorry about the long read.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:39 PM
FG

Default RE: Broken Record about Power Belts (long read)

no problems here using 80gr pyrodex RS with the 295s. If it hit a vital organ he wouldnt be feeding.
oops u didnt recover the deer.

Deer act differently than others. All of my deer either scrunch up or jump straight up in the air.

My elk i shot on the 12 was at 140 yards with patched round ball, i saw her scrunch up and after only 60 yards, she was dead and both tops of the lungs shredded.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:40 PM
Typical Buck

Maybe I should knock the load back? Im not sure after reading a post about XTPs, Ive never shot and not had a hole big enough to put a coke can in the exit with them. This time turned out good, maybe he didnt go far enough to get it pumping, but with a heart shot and a lung shot, and not knowing which was first, he DID cover about 50 yds laterally, and then stopped for a moment, and no blood...and no blood from last place he stood and to wherehe fell.

I guess I should be happy, but Im a bit worrysome that the next time will turn out worse.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:44 PM
FG

Take a low shoulder shot,

This deer went 5 yards with a 225gr AT though both shoulders. Lungs were Gone.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

One shot through the shoulder at 90-100yds and it fragmented upon exitand one prior to that, just behind the shoulder that left an 'ok' exit.
Hey Treed,just what did those exit holes look like? Did the one that looked like it fragmented upon exit leave an tear wound, or a lot of small punctures? How big was to "OK" exit - bigger than a quarter?

Deer sure can do amazing things when they don't know they're dead.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:50 PM
FG

Heres some tested 295's
71 yards,

Now with the same load @ 100 yards,

This is my hunting load when i use the 295s, this was with 70gr Pyrodex P (equal to 80gr RS) @ 100 yards into clay like mud

I'd love to see you do 80gr And report back on it.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

I promise. He only took a bite or two before just standing there looking before the final shot. I wish I had taken pictures of the wounds. I know he was hit in atleast ONE vital before that. Because he had two through the vitals when I found him. He was recovered, and a short distance later, but out of site.

Like I said. I think I am just paranoid the next one might run without bleeding, or idk...just worried lol.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:15 PM
Typical Buck

One exit was between nickel and quarter size, the other was little holes here and there. Like I said I was happy that it was recovered so quick, but concerned over lack of blood, which doesnt surprise me a whole lot, as I never see much with fire arm shots until theyve gone 30yds or so if they make it that far, just exit hole. Conditions were ideal to see blood in the field, open dirt or dirt with sparse soy beans. Also just curious if anybody has had any experiences like that where they act like that havent been hit?
Old 11-17-2008, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot FPBs. They are supposed to perform well over a wide range of velocities. They have a copper jacket that is thick enough to control expansion and ensure penetration.

I can't vouch for actual performance on deer yet. Shot a deer with the 12 Ga. this past weekend. I'm going out this weekend with the Remington Genesis, loaded with FPB over 100 gr Pyrodex RS.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Its them PB's again most of us sear at them a half dozen swear for them; I used them at one time did not like the rainbow trajectory I got when I cut the load back far enough to make the bullet work as it should[ 70 or 80 gr RS]I awitched to 250 gr GOLD DOTS now I shoot them in the right place and watch them drop, the other bullet I use is the 250 SW this one dont drop the as fast but the accuracy out of my Triumph is amazing at 200 yds. Lee

Quick Reply: Broken Record about Power Belts (long read)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.