Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Broken Record about Power Belts (long read)

Old 11-17-2008, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Broken Record about Power Belts (long read)

I don't want to have to taylor my load around a powerbelt. I shoot Barnes bullets now, it is like you turned a faucet on when you follow the deer.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:23 AM
Typical Buck

I use the shockwaves by T/C. the bonded 250s with easy glide or the 300. Both work awesome and knock down in there tracks. They also shot more consistant out of my T/C then the powerbelts.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

TreednNC

PowerBelts work for some and do not work well for others. At one time I too thought I would use PB's - they are accurate and they are easy to load.

In actuallity Power Belts really are nothing more than an extended Round Ball and yet we know that a PRB will harvestand has harvest deer for a few years now. So in theory they should be better that a PRB and I think they are.

BUT, I really think there several dozen bullets out there that will do the job much better. You can start at the XTP's and work up, although the XTP's probably hve harvested more animals than any other bullet, but yet they are way down my list.

I think you have two classes of choices.....

1. expensive effective bullets - such as Noslers and Barnes
2. less expsensive but truly effective bullets - such as the Speer Gold Dot series.

I personally shoot the Nosler's and they are outstanding, but as soon as I run out of my current stock unless they come down I will make the switch to Gold Dots. My experiments with them show me that they act much like a Nosler at a lot less money....

I think you would be money ahead to make a switch. I should also say that bullet placement is the most effective thing you can do with any bullet.

Here is a pict of a recovered and expanded Nosler....

Old 11-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Dominant Buck

My only complaint about powerbelts is their cost right now since I have no in field game experience with them. The other day I was at the big city and went to a gun shop to get a scope. They had powerbelts on sale.. $19.95 for 15 powerbelts. I told the clerk, he could keep them things. I bought two boxes of T/C cheap shots for $4.95 a box (all they had).
Old 11-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

If you hit it high in the chest, the chest cavity has to fil up with blood before it comes out. That leaves a poor trail. Igot one that way 2 years ago. almost no blood trail, only a drop now and again. The deer piled up 70 yds into the bush and we eventually found it after an hours looking. When we cut it open there was a wave of blood came out of the chest. I was told to shoot a little lower they leak better.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

Dead deer is a dead deer....I will finish the week (year) out with them since I dont have time to change, but will deffinately look into some of the other choices mentioned here. I really appreciate all of the explainations and offerings, both public and via PM for advice. Thats why I love this site so much. Thank you!
Old 11-17-2008, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

Ok so Im not familiar with picking my own bullets and sabots. I mean what I have shot has either came with sabbots or shot power belts. Would a 44cal .429 or .430 work? What sabbot to pair it with? 50cal. In an Encore. Thank you.