Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Tried the Hornady FPB Bullets Today

Old 11-15-2008, 05:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Tried the Hornady FPB Bullets Today

Went to our place 70 miles east of Lawton to sight in the Encore with an elk killer bullet: Also to cut some firewood for the nice gent who lets me shoot hogs on his places. Saw a big ten point buck asi drove over the hill to the shooting bench.

Temperature was about35 degrees with a 20 mph north wind gusting to about 35 mph.

Distance: 50 yards
Gun: .50 Encore
Bullet: 350 grain XPB
Powder:120 grains of 2F Pinnacle
Primer:Winchester 209 shotgun

The bullet loaded easily into a clean barrel. Bullet impacted aboutfour inches low from a clean barrel. Loaded up again and the bullet went about fourinches low from a dirty barrel. Bullet loaded easily into a dirty barrel. Gave the scope 10 clickselevation and fired a three shot group that was centered on the red dot in the center of the 3" Shoot-N-See target;the groupmeasured 1.75 " Fired five rounds and never swabbed the barrel.

Gave it up for the day and got to cutting firewood. Will go back on a nicer day next week and try the gun and load at 100 yards. If i can get3" groups at 100 yards that is my elk hunting load. If not then i will try the 370 grain Maxi-Balls. Most elk killed in the area i will be hunting are shot at less than 100 yards.

Deer gun season comes innext Saturdayand i decided to tryforthat nice buck: Theni thoughtthat the gent who lets me shoot hogs on his places deserves a try at that buck more than i do. Will call him this evening and tell him to go for it.

BTW: Shooting a one dollar bullet makes mymiserly heart skipall kinds of beats as i load the gun.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Tried the Hornady FPB Bullets Today

Sounds like a lot of fun and I sure understand the dollar bullet feelings.. that's just insanity to me.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

I know what you mean too about the $ of bullets. I was perfectly happy with the various lead bullets (the deer I shot were none to pleased). But then I got to experimenting with the sabots. Now I shoot both depending on the rifle. My flinters still shoot the lead conicals or PRBs.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

i picked up a package of them , could be a few weeks before i get a chance to try em,but i'll be using 777, i would like to think 120 gr. in an encore
Old 11-17-2008, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a good start with the FPBs. You may see some increased accuracy if you swab between shots, not that you're shooting is bad now.

Whichever bullet you settle on with work just fine.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

as it turns out my encore does not like them .
my barrel is bad but it will shot sabots, i guess thats what it was designed to shoot so i should be happy .