Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Genesis Report #3

Old 11-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Genesis Report #3

Today was a perfect day for shooting.. It was snowing hard, wind was blowing, it was cold and nasty.. just like deer season. I had moved the bench back to 70 yards and decided to see if the Genesis with the 1x scope would hit from back there. I knew it was dead on at 50 yards. At 70 yards, you can not see that black X at all through the scope because of the cross hairs, but I figured it would be close. I was kind of aiming center on the yellow to be honest.

The first shot was not a surprise. I wrote that off on a clean barrel and never guessed maybe the rifle was shooting high. So I swabbed and shot again. Still it was good but a little high. So after swabbing I adjusted and aimed just under the X (a little lower in the yellow) and let go.. #3 made me smile (A LOT). I then shot the next two and was real pleased with the rifle.

I was shooting Winchester W209 primers, 100 grains of Pyrodex P, a orange MMP .458 sabot, and Speer .458 300 grain Hollow Points.. that's a good load and I am ready for deer season. Especially since my shots should never be that far.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Genesis Report #3

Looks like the gun passed the foul weather test with flying colors.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Fork Horn

Nice shooting.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

Great shooting...congrats!!!!!
Old 11-15-2008, 07:04 PM
Dominant Buck

I wanted to add for the other Genesis owners.. I checked the scope again today for fowling and could not find any fowling on my scope. Also a little trick I found is, open the cam and don't worry about the spent 209 primer. Just go ahead and swab the bore. When you check, the pressure from the swab knocked the old primer out and you're all set to go.

Perhaps because I have been taping the breech plug in the way that Sabotloader showed me, so the tape is blowing back and sealing the breech area better. Perhaps that is also cutting down on the fowling aspect of the scope...

I only got ten rounds off today, when company came over. They were not dressed for the outdoors, so we called it quits and went inside where it was nice and warm.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dave - are you applying teflon tape and anti-sieze to the breach plug?
Also, I've found that those bright orange 3" dots are great for shooting at 50 or even 100 yds with open sights and probably with your 1X scope. You can pick them up at Walmart
Nice shooting by the way. And thanks for the tip on pulling the spent primer. Will have to try the swabbing technique next time.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Neat trick about the primers. Hadn't thought of that. When I shoot Win209s, 99% of the time when I flip the cam open the vibration of it flipping open knocks the primer out. Kleenbores will not do that. I think they are little shorter.

Nice shootin' by the way. I hope ya get one this year with it. I'd also like to see what damagethose .458 300g Speers do.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes, I wrap the plug in white teflon tape as Sabotloader showed, where you cover basically the front of the plug so the first primer kind of folds it all back. Then I put some Slick 50 One Grease on the tape.. it seems to work real good for me. I had some of them Birchwood Casey dots and they worked good, I was asked to test them actually for the company. I just never bought anymore after they ran out. But they did work good. The large three inch ones worked great for the open sights and 1x scopes.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well my Genesis is clean now. I may just go down and put the tape and grease on it now before I forget.
But I'm not quite sure what you mean by wrapping the front of the plug so the primer folds it back??? Maybe a pic would help.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Dominant Buck

The first wrap of the tape is near the very front edge of the breech plug. So you actually over lap the front of the breech plug. The first primer you shoot through the rifle, it blows that tape back against where the plug meets the barrel and I think it forms an additional seal. Sabotloader explains it much better then me.

Quick Reply: Genesis Report #3

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.