Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Help needed on measuring target groups

Old 11-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Help needed on measuring target groups

Guys,

I have a post below that shows two groups I shot yesterday. How do I go about measuring the groups? I'm obviously very pleased with them, but would love to know if they are MOA (am I saying that correctly?). Also, what does MOA (if that's correct) mean?

Thanks,
Hammer
Old 11-15-2008, 02:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Help needed on measuring target groups

Hammer49

I have a post below that shows two groups I shot yesterday. How do I go about measuring the groups? I'm obviously very pleased with them, but would love to know if they are MOA (am I saying that correctly?). Also, what does MOA (if that's correct) mean?
MOA - Minute of Angle - size of the group

Measure the lay out of the size of the group - at the widest spread(outside to outside)- then subtract the size of bullet you are shooting...

Example if you measure 1" outside to outside at the widest point and you are shooting a .45 cal bullet - subtract .45 from 1.0.

I am not the best writing explanations hope this helps....
Old 11-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

Sabotloader-

Is there a standard per whatever yardage you're shooting? The reason I ask is that seeing folks post "sub-moa" makes me think there is a benchmark out there. Again, thanks for your help!

Hammer
Old 11-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hammer49

I really do not know about a 'standard', people like Lee who are great competitive bench shooters can reduce the size of thier groups to less than MOA, I am not that good + I am shooting a hunting rifle a hunting velocities.... I am really Ok with a 2" group @ 100 even though I most often shoot a 1.5" group - that for a hunting rifle makes me feel really darn good.

Another test i use a lot and it is more fun than punching holes in paper is i place clay pigeons at various ranges from 50 to 150 and shoot them... If they break on the first shot I am totally happy....
Old 11-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

Gotcha! Also, I just found this website (http://www.rifle-accuracy-reports.com/minuteofangle.html). The site tells all about the moa definition. It basically spells out that each 100 yards has one inch of moa...meaning 200 yards moa is 2 inches, etc... With that, yesterday's range session produced moa (second group was one inch)AND sub-moa (first group was between 3/4 and 7/8 inch)groups...pretty cool!!!!!

Thanks again!!!!
Old 11-16-2008, 06:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hammer - glad you got the definition of MOA. It is approximately 1" per 100 yds. As for measuring the group size I measure the same way as Sabotloader. I measure the outside edge of the farthest bullets and subtract the bullet diameter. So you are basically measuring center to center (which is standard)
Measuring this way - you can actually get a group size smaller than the bullet diameter. (Example: you shoot 3 shot with a 50 cal and the measurement from the outside of the farthest bullets is 3/4". You subtract 1/2" and come up with 1/4" (.75" - .50" = .25")).
Hope this helps.