Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Buying a new one

Old 11-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default Buying a new one

I'm in the market for a new muzzle loader.I've narrowed it down to the CVA Optima, CVA Kodiak Pro, CVA Wolf,Knight Shadow,Knight Rolling Block,T/C Omega, or Traditions Persuit. I would appreciate any input from anyone with experience with any of these models.Thanks.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Buying a new one

I just bought a Encore Endeavor, and if i did it over again, i would buy a Triumph in a heartbeat, look at all the excellent reports on them on here,a few of these guys are shooting sub moa with these things......... and you can pick them up at Walmart for around 300 bucks.....
Old 11-15-2008, 02:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

oldreloader

CVA's are good rifles so do not get me wrong.... but make sure that you know that BPI/CVA places restrictions on how much loose powder (100 gr. max) sabot & projectile - no greater than 300 grains and a max conical weight of 400... With just about any other ML out there you are restricted to these max'es...

Old 11-15-2008, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

I bought the KRB and all I can say is WOW! WAY better than my Optima Pro!
Old 11-15-2008, 05:41 PM
FG

i have a cva optima for sale in the black powder classifieds.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:47 PM
Dominant Buck

You have a number of choices.. none of which I own. But I own rifles from all those companies. You really would not go wrong with any of them IMO. Sorry I could not be of help, but they are all good rifles in their own right. I personally like Knight and Thompson Center rifles.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

If i were in the market for another muzzleloader it would be a Knight Disc or a TC Black Diamond. One thing about muzzleloaders, the cheap ones usually shoot just as well as the expensive ones. My Encore looks spiffy and neat. But it it too heavy and clumsy to use on a walking hunt.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I currentlyhave the KRB right now. It's a great gun if you live in a state that will allow a scope on your ML. The best thing you can do is go somewhere that has them all and play around with them, see how they shoulder, etc. Play around with one enough and one will jump out at you.

Vince
Old 11-16-2008, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

i bought an omega and love it..
Old 11-16-2008, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Narrowed it down?? I do not think so.

Go with a Knight product. I have owned them all, and the Knight products stand on top IMO. Tom.

Quick Reply: Buying a new one

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.