Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My elk season as it stands today-Range report!

Old 11-16-2008, 03:02 PM
FG

Default RE: My elk season as it stands today

I knew it was a long shot and read that with 100gr 2F and sighted dead on, the ball drops somewhere around 10" @ 150yrds. I figured since i was 2" high @ 100, it would be close. For a deer, i know to hold a couple inches higher. And that brings up another thing. Yesterday i was out scouting again, 5 does and a small fork horn were feeding in a small mountainside field. I brought my rifle up to check out the sights and found that i will need a much thinner front blade for next years deer season. This one is way to thick.

Later that evening i had 2 close encounters with a 150-175lb bear that came walking down the creek bed and i made a few dying rabbit squeaks and to my horror, he turned directly toward me at a run. I dont pack a sidearm and my only modern pistol i own is a 22mag so i may have been in a little of a tight spot if he had chose to come closer to me. I was able to run him off and about 20 minutes later, CRACK. Turn around and look about........ Go back to paying attention and start glassing the field. Hear some brush rustling and i get up to investigate and SOB! That bear had circled around to come up behind me and was 30 feet away As soon as he saw me, he spun and took off.

One thing for sure, Unit 85 needs to allow doe tags as thats all there are in this place!
Old 11-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: My elk season as it stands today

Bears will do that. I was bow hunting my land one time and had made a brush blind. And a large sow and cubs came through. All I had was the bow, so I sat quiet. She stopped and looked right at me but kept walking much to my relief. About twenty minutes later I heard somethingbehind me. What she had done was circle me to get the wind in her favor. Granted she took off, but so did I. My nerves were shot. The next day I was out in the stand but had my Ruger Redhawk loaded with 240 grain Winchester flat nose. I figured if she really wanted to make an issue out of it, I'd give her six reasons to leave me alone. Now when I bow hunt, I always carry a handgun.