Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Maxi-Hunter???

Old 11-12-2008, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default T/C Maxi-Hunter???

I have some Maxi-hunters that are a few years old and the borebutter has dried up. I took off the old cracked lube tonight. My question is, do these conicals have to be lubed to shoot well and if so, do I just use bore butter again to lube them. I tried to put some more bore butter in the grooves and it didn't seem to stick like it should. I am thinking I will be shooting the Maxi ball 370gr. or maybe just a patched round ball in my T/C Hawkens but I thought since I hade some laying around I might as well try them.I would really rather shoot one of the conicals if I can get them to shootgood.It has been a while since I have messed with this gun so any help is appreciated. I took the gun out of the closet tonight and gave it a good looking at. Not one speck of rust anywhere. It looks just like it did when I put it up. I did swab all of the borebutter out of it though and put a good coat of Birchwood Casey Sheath in the barrel. Ok I'm just talking now. What do you guys think?
Old 11-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: T/C Maxi-Hunter???

Yes, smear them with bore butter right before you load and shoot them. Try and get a even coat on the things.. The bore butter or lube actually protects the lead of the projectile.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks. So it doesn't have to pack up in the grooves?
Old 11-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Dominant Buck

just roll that conical in the bore butter in your fingers. That will work lube into the necessary areas.. then shoot it.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I were you, I'd go with the maxiballs. Never got the maxihunters to shoot very well. Not terrible, just nowhere near as good as maxiballs. 80-90 gr of pyrodex is about foolproof, whichever shoots better.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

Which Pyrodexdo you guy'ssuggest, the Rs or the RS Select and which No.11 cap do you recommend. CCI Magnum??? Which Maxi-Ball do you recomend the 320gr. or the 370gr. ? maybe this will be the last question but probably not. Thanks again for all the help guys. I am really excited toget back into the more traditional side of the sport again. Don't get me wrong though I still love my inlines. I may not eve hunt with a centerfire rifle thisyear. This sport is so addictive.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:04 AM
Dominant Buck

For years, I shot Pyrodex Select. And then the store was out one afternoon and I wanted to shoot. So I got the Pyrodex RS (which was a few bucks cheaper). I never noticed the difference in accuracy, fowling or clean up.

I like the 370 grain maxiball. They seem to shoot better. And as for caps.. never get the standard CCI caps. They are worthless IMO. The CCI magnum on the other hand are excellent. Another common capthat is very good is Remington 40% hotter.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all your help. I hope to place an order this week.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer the 370 gr maxiball. I have only used Pyrodex RS. I'm sure P and Select will also work fine with certain loads. I use 10.75 size caps made by a company called Dynamit-Nobel RWS (as I recall, not positive though). I have not found hotter caps, judging from the sound of a variety of caps fired alone. They fit tight on the nipple. I actually (carefully) compress them on with the hammer, and have to remove them with a knife or key, whatever is handy.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:28 AM
FG

RS

Select is very course and you may have trouble getting it to shift under the nipple. You may also need a package of fiber wads to put under the bullet. They seem to tighten up the groups with the maxis.

Quick Reply: T/C Maxi-Hunter???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.