Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Oil vs bore butter question

Old 11-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Oil vs bore butter question

Neither

I use Birchwood-Casey Barricade (formally called Sheath)which dries leaving a protective film that doesn't attract dirt. After cleaning my gun I run a patch sprayed with Barricade down the barrel and put the gun up. You don't need to run a dry patch because there is nothing to dry and remove from the barrel. When I am ready to use the gun I just poor the powder down the spout and load it - no need to run a dry patch.

I don't use oil in the barrel because Oil + fire + black powder residue= TAR, and I don't want tar in my barrel.

There is a divergance of opinion about Bore Butter. Personally I think it is a joke.

Greg Ritz, in the DVD that came with my OMEGA, says that the OMEGA is a high tec modern muzzleloader, made with the most advanced componants andcapable of shooting a high-tec saboted projectile out to 200, even 250 yards. He then turns right around and implores us to use Bore Butter to protect and "season" our the OMEGA barrel. Which is it Greg??? - A high Tec gun or a cast iron skillet??? I want to shoot animals with the gun Greg, not fry chicken in it. Exactly how does that Bore Butter "season" the barrel Greg? Show me the objective evidence supporting that statement. What's in that "Natural Lube" anyway, whale blubber, lard, chicken fat, bacon grease?? What is so "Natural" about it and why do we need it in our modern T/C muzzleloaders.

If this "season like a cast iron skillet" statement actually has merit, why don't we do it routinely with centerfire rifles??? Is Greg advocating that we use bore butter for the new T/C Icon???
Old 11-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Which is it Greg??? - A high Tec gun or a cast iron skillet???

Old 11-14-2008, 07:43 AM
Typical Buck

plus, doesn't it say in the FAQ's section of teh t/c website that you should not use bore butter in their rifles?

Note about Sabots
T/C's All Natural Lube 1000 Plus Bore Butter was designed as a lube to be used with traditional patched roundballs (lube the patches) and all lead conical bullets like our Maxi-Ball and Maxi-Hunters.

If you are shooting sabots, DO NOT LUBE YOUR SABOTS. Sabots are designed to be shot right out of the package____DRY. In fact, you should remove any trace of Natural Lube, or any lube for that matter, from the barrel before shooting sabots. The less lube you have in the barrel when shooting sabots, the better, to achieve optimum accuracy.

When your hunting or shooting is done, and your rifle cleaned after shooting, re-lube your barrel with T/C's All Natural Lube Bore Butter prior to storage. Wipe down the outside as well. It's an excellent rust preventative.