Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bullet to loose

Old 11-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Spike

Default Bullet to loose

Here, up North (CAN) it is hard to have access to bullet and sabot. As my barrel is on the loose side, I have hard time to get HPH-12 sabot.

What do you think about my last idea? As I have a bunch of HPH-24 that are 0.002-3 to small I though about wraping a layer of Scotch tape arrownd the bullet?Thatmake the bulletabout .004 bigger.

First test looksvery good with the calipper and the fealing to push it down the barrel is also very good.

The real test will be tomorow at the rang, but did you ever try someting like this?

Thanks for your help, Martin
Old 11-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bullet to loose

Well I never tried anything like that. But your results might be very interesting. What kind of rifle are you shooting? Instead of scotch tape, perhaps you could use teflon plumbers tape. That should come off the bullet in flight without effecting the bullet too much. Or paper patch the bullet.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think Cayugad's suggestion regarding teflon tape has merit. Or maybe plain old printer paper (I almost said "typing" paper, but some of you young whippersnappers have never seen a typewriter except in the movies ). I would worry about the adhesive tape not coming off the bullet in a uniform manner, and causing instability as the bullet sheds the tape, or only part of it. But it's worth a try. Should be interesting.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Salar600

Here, up North (CAN) it is hard to have access to bullet and sabot. As my barrel is on the loose side, I have hard time to get HPH-12 sabot.

What do you think about my last idea? As I have a bunch of HPH-24 that are 0.002-3 to small I though about wraping a layer of Scotch tape arrownd the bullet?Thatmake the bulletabout .004 bigger.

First test looksvery good with the calipper and the fealing to push it down the barrel is also very good.

The real test will be tomorow at the rang, but did you ever try someting like this?

Thanks for your help, Martin
I have heard of people using paper but not scotch tape, it will come off. the scotch tape may affect bullet drag and therefore accuracy. I would go with paper.
Chap
Old 11-11-2008, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

It might be tricky to apply, but you could put the sticky side of the tape on the sabot instead of the bullet.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would use the brightly colored Christmas tape. It would be like a tracer round out of a ML. Actually I think the teflon tape has possibilities. Have you tried ordering the sabots on line?
Old 11-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

The best plan ,order direct
http://www.mmpsabots.com/
on the internet or by phone. Lee
Old 11-11-2008, 09:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Salar600

I believe if you call PR bullets in Canada they can mail HPH-12's directly to you.

http://www.prbullet.com/

I know if you call Connie at MMP she can mail direct to you it just takes her some extra paper work or she might suggest PR also.

www.mmpsabots.com

The other sabot that might work well for you is the Harvester red 'crush rib' - if you are interested in that call Allen at Harvester...

800 922-6287

Old 11-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: sabotloader
Salar600
I believe if you call PR bullets in Canada they can mail HPH-12's directly to you.
http://www.prbullet.com/
I know if you call Connie at MMP she can mail direct to you it just takes her some extra paper work or she might suggest PR also.
www.mmpsabots.com
The other sabot that might work well for you is the Harvester red 'crush rib' - if you are interested in that call Allen at Harvester...
800 922-6287
Thanks guys,

Actually MMP told me they do not sail/ship to Can and my good fried... from PR Bullets didn'treplye-mail !

Doesn't mater, I shot todayand had good results. Come back to you later about that.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Salar600

and my good friend... from PR Bullets didn'treplye-mail !
Probably not a good way to do business... maybe call his 800 number - I have called Cecil several times

Quick Reply: Bullet to loose

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.