Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Insane deer!

Old 11-07-2008, 10:22 PM
FG

Default Insane deer!

Late this evening my dad and i took a drive over to La veta Colorado to check out some hay. Big property ranches spread out at the base of Spanish peaks and FILLED with deer! On both sides of the road in huge grass/alfalfa hay we spotted ATLEAST 15 bucks, including a whitetail. The smallest buck was a fork horn, Two 3 pointers, One 5x6 and the rest of the bucks were tall/wide 4x4s with very good mass!
There were easily over 100 deer in these fields and all were within easy bow shot. We mentioned this to the owner of the hay and the first things said *Oh yeah! We dont allow permission to hunt the deer on our property* Friggin yuppies!

Still have to find the owner of the other huge field and see what we can work out.

We go back sunday and i'll bring my camera along just in case the deer show up again.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Insane deer!

I never could undertand why any farmer/rancher that had crops in the field would not allow ethical hunters to not harvest some of the game off their property.

The problem we had in this state was when we did allow hunters on the property, they left gates open or broke fences, some marched right through the fields over the corn knocking the stalks down, and then wondered why they were kicked off the land. So I never totally blame the farmers. Some of them have had some rather bad experiences with hunters.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well FG - at least you asked. Some other 'slob hunter' may have just snuck in there and shot one with the bow, loaded him up and got out of there.
It is a shame though that they do not allow hunters.
I used to have a great farm for pheasant hunting when I was young. Thefarmer would always let me hunt hunt there. Then one year, he died and his son and daughter-in-law moved in from 'the city' and didn't allow hunting. Like you said - friggin yuppies.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Either my first or second year hunting we had something like that happen. This field was so thick with deer there were places you couldn't see the ground. It was the last day of hunting season, so we figured surely they would let us sneak in there and get a doe just for some meat. My dad went and knocked on the door, and the guy told us we were more than welcome to hunt on his land. It was something like $300 to even walk on his land with a gun, and then a doe was somewhere around $500 and a buck was I think $500 plus $100 dollar for each point. There was a minimum on buck size, but I don't remember what it was. It ended up being over $1000 dollars for a buck though.

Vince
Old 11-09-2008, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SuperKirby

Either my first or second year hunting we had something like that happen. This field was so thick with deer there were places you couldn't see the ground. It was the last day of hunting season, so we figured surely they would let us sneak in there and get a doe just for some meat. My dad went and knocked on the door, and the guy told us we were more than welcome to hunt on his land. It was something like $300 to even walk on his land with a gun, and then a doe was somewhere around $500 and a buck was I think $500 plus $100 dollar for each point. There was a minimum on buck size, but I don't remember what it was. It ended up being over $1000 dollars for a buck though.

Vince
How many did you get?

Steve
Old 11-09-2008, 07:04 AM
FG

lol we go today for a load of hay so i'll take my camera just in case i see something.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:32 PM
FG

Got hay this morning and took some pics of the same herd but only much much smaller! They fill this field and another on the other side of the road in late evening.
No bucks this morning.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Spike

Looks like Heaven!
Old 11-15-2008, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

FG -

How do you string all of those pictures together? Every time I upload a picture the system tells me only one is allowed. Therefore, I have to go through multiple posts in order to show multiple pictures. Thanks in advance!

Hammer
Old 11-15-2008, 06:16 PM
FG

Photobucket.

Quick Reply: Insane deer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.