Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Genesis Report #1

Old 11-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Genesis Report #1

Took the new Genesis out today for is virgin run at the range. Set the target up at 25 yds and got the scope close. Then set the target up at 100 yds. That Nikon scope with the BDC is nice and clear. The circles surround the 1" target dot almost perfectly at 100 yds.
The bore was swabbed between shots with Windex w/ammonia and a good scrubbing with Butch's after 3 shots.
Anyway, my first group with the 300 gr XTPs (.429") and Harvester crushed rib sabots measured about 3" with 90 gr of Pyrodex P. But this bullet/sabot combo was a bear to load. I switched over to 300 gr Shock Waves and shot a 2 1/2" group but they were strung out vertically. OK maybe it was me or everything was settling in. Don't know.TheShock Waves were easier to load. Snug but not tight. I did some minor sight adjustment and shot another 3 shot group - again about 2 1/2". I boosted up the charge to 100 gr of "P" and used the bottom BDC circle as my hold on the center dot. The firts 2 bullets formed a figure 8 and the third about 1 1/2" below them. Great.
I had 6 more Shock Waves left so I put up a new target and 1st shot hit 12:00at the top of the bull, second about 1" left and third 1" right. At this point I was getting tired but I still had 3 more bullets left.
I loaded up with 100 gr of FFFg and held at 6:00 on the 6" bull. The first 2 were about an inch apart and the last one about 3" low. (Could have been that I was getting sloppy with my swabbing and the barrel was a bit wet fouling some of the powder).
I think I canget this rifle to shoot even better once I find its sweet spot. Next time out I want to try some FFg and Pyro RS to see how they perform.
(Dave - How hard are the MMP sabots to load with the .458 bullets?)
Old 11-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Genesis Report #1

I shoot the .44 caliber .430 diameter XTP's in a green harvester crushed rib sabot, 250 grain Shockwaves, and the orange MMP with a .458 Speer 300 grain HP. They load fine for me..

I have not yet shot at 100 yards. But it sounds like you have a good shooter.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think I am going to measure the ramrod and get one with a power handle. I was using my cleaning rod to load because it had a T handle. But it is fiberglass and flexes too much unless you are holding it close to the muzzle. And the rod that comes with the Genesis is about 1" longer than the barrel with the 100 gr charge and Shock Wave.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Dominant Buck

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=592874

the end comes off these short starters and they screw onto ramrods making a range ramrod. Also of course you can put the end back on and use it as a short starter... The short ends are also starters, for sabots and roundball actually.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:49 PM

cayuqad,
I've been using the Harvester Black crushed rib sabot with the .458 bullets so far . They are a pretty snug fit, in both my Genesis and Triumph especially after several shots. I'm thinking the orange mmp's will make for a better fit. Do they shoot accurately in you Genesis? I've got a few left over. I originally tried the oranges in my Savage but found them to be too loose. I think they measured .504 with a .458 bullet. The Black crushed ribs measure .507 with the same
Zen
Old 11-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Panhandle

cayuqad,
I've been using the Harvester Black crushed rib sabot with the .458 bullets so far . They are a pretty snug fit, in both my Genesis and Triumph especially after several shots. I'm thinking the orange mmp's will make for a better fit. Do they shoot accurately in you Genesis? I've got a few left over. I originally tried the oranges in my Savage but found them to be too loose. I think they measured .504 with a .458 bullet. The Black crushed ribs measure .507 with the same
Zen

They shot very well in my Genesis and loaded very nice. Now I seldom shoot this well, and it is a fluke (believe me). But this was me shooting these orange MMP and some Speer bullets I bought by accident. I like Pyrodex P in my inline rifles..

I want to shoot them again in my Genesis to see just how good a group I can shoot...
Old 11-08-2008, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

(Dave - How hard are the MMP sabots to load with the .458 bullets?)
I shoot black Crushed Rib sabots in my Savage Smokeless with .458 rifle bullets, they hold up fine at 2400 fps. They are very tight, and you will have to swab wiht 777 or Pyrodex, but with Blackhorn you will NOT. With the CR I shoot Barnes Origonals 300g and Barnes FlatNose TSX 45/70 bullets, huge hollow point, excellent expansion, excellent shoot thru, the Barnes part number is 45843. The BCR are also cheaper than the MMP by $2.50, so you get a bit better deal. I shoot the BCR with Nosler .451 pistol bullets also, so in my mind they are an "all purpose sabot", much broader range of applications than the MMP line, and less costly. Just my opinion from experience, oh, I have 1 package of nearly every kind of sabot make, and I have tried most in my Omega with various bullets (Nosler and Barnes) with the breech plug removed.
Chap