Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

just learned there is more to 209's than just brand

Old 11-06-2008, 03:02 PM

Default just learned there is more to 209's than just brand

Well call me ignorant! The past 5 years i have been using winchester shotshells.DUH Now i try win.209ml.Not as hot ,brilliant. Just wanted to pass a laugh.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: just learned there is more to 209's than just brand

I like the Winchester W209 in the blue box. They work good for me. Still, all you can do is try different things until you find what works.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:38 PM

thats good to know that someone is satisfied with them . I have had snap ..boom about 25% with 150gr t7 -240 gr tc's. But as you read on through my trials with a new omega and a new liking to the internet.I too will stumble like im sure all have,But now the knowledge is at this forum.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:37 AM

I tried pretty much all the different 209's in my Encore. I won't go into the details of how from one brand to another and even from one primer to another is NOT consistent. But what I will say is when I bought the conversion kit for my Encore and went to the .25 ACP casing and breech plug my accuracy is better and there is way less fouling of the breech, etc. The 209's are way over kill for muzzleloaders. This is just my opinion, but I have shot over 1900 shots through my Encore and I have won several shooting matches against guys that I know are better shots and using a very similar gun.

How many times have you had a "flier"? I used to have them all the time. I would think... I must have pulled it or, jerked or, etc. I have a full trigger job on my Encore and its smooth as glass so it just didnt make sense I was pulling shots. A buddy at the range told me that my primers could be the problem. He said they can be inconsistent and are a big reason for "fliers". So after some research on the internet I found others were saying the same thing and then I read about a conversion kit to swap out my breach and to use a .25acp primer and casing in my Encore. It has totally eliminated the "Fliers". I know most guns can not be converted like mine, but I just thought I would share info of how 209's are NOT perfect and from brand to brand and from one primer to another there is a difference also. If you shoot 20 primers off with NO load in the gun, I think you will be able to "hear" how they are not the same from one to another. I tried it and it was noticable to me.

My Encore is the only inline I own now and I dont think I will buy another since I love this gun. I am more of a traditionalist now and love shooting sidelock rifles... both Percussion and Flintlocks. The inline is great but the fun meter goes way up when you play with the Sidelock guns.