Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

where do you aim

Old 11-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: where do you aim

On a buck, I like to hit them where the G2 tine joins the main beam of the rack. This knocks them out for a few minutes. Then I slip a collar and leash on them before they come to. That way you can walk them back to your truck and don't have that long drag.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi - that may be where you normally hit them - but I know that it isn't where you're aiming.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Right behind the shoulder and take out the lungs. He wont run far.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Dominant Buck

I know a young man (veryfoolish I might add and would try anything)who once threw a lasso over a buck's head. It was pure chaos for a few minutes. The fellow got pulled through the woods, over the brush and logs until he was able to tie the rather upset animal off to a tree (this is the honest truth). I think Semisane might want to rething that walking it back to the car unless he's a deer whisperer or something...
Old 11-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

In the evening or when there's no tracking snow I center of the shoulder shoot them .No looking for deer as they can't run off .High lung hits don't leave a good blood trail as they fill up in the lower chest cavity.Like bear both shoulders at once...............Harold
Old 11-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

When I used my slug gun and needed meat I would take a doe in the neck. I use all Muzzleloaders now and put it behind the front shoulder with a 250 gr Shockwave and 100 gr pellets. I do not take a neck shot now with a muzzy as I feel I would not get anywhere close to what a 12 gauge slug can do to a neck. The bullet hole would be small and pass through and injure the animal. If you can hit a windpipe that may work but why chance that. Do it the quickest and ethical way or get out of the woods is my motto. It works great and so far never had to track em. The combo works great for my guns so I don't tinker like some folks here.