Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Taking new ML to the range for the first time.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Taking new ML to the range for the first time.

Planning on going to the range this weekend to sight in my new CVA Wolf, I have yet to shoot it. What is the correct way to sight in a new ML. What yardage do I start at. Just looking for everyones method in sighting in for the first time. What should I use between shots to clean the barrel?
Old 11-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Taking new ML to the range for the first time.

With a scope, I start them at 13 yards. I want a dead center bull at that distance. With open sights, I start at 15 yards and then move back to 25, 50, 75, & 100. I pick what distance I want and sight to that distance.

Also remember, don't start cranking sights (other then to get it close) until you have a load worked up. So swab with Windex with Ammonia between shots. Be sure to dry patch after your damp patch. Take your time, and don't expect it to fall into place in the first ten minutes. It does happen but it is rare.

what kind of powder are you shooting and projectiles have you picked?
Old 11-05-2008, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used caygads suggestion on sighting in and it worked. That wolf is excellent and I beleive Dave has some experience w/ the gun.... IMine likes 83 grains of loose T7 and 250 grain SW. That gun does not like pushed hard.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Couple more questions. First, I have several different things that I am going to try. I have about 4 or 5 different bullets, the loose powder, and I also have some pellets that I am going to try. We will have to wait and see what the gun likes.

Ok, my biggest question is, we cant use scopes in Mn, so it will be open sights. Now when I start out at 15 yards, you say not to start adjusting the sights. So do I just wait until I find a combination that hits in the same spot with a few shots, even if say they are hitting to the left or right, and then adjust the sights? Thanks for the help guys, I cant wait to get out there and shoot it.

Also, you say to use windex and amonia between shots, what mixing ratio do I use?
Old 11-05-2008, 07:58 AM
Fork Horn

BD-12T: "Also, you say to use windex and amonia between shots, what mixing ratio do I use?"

Windex and other store brand window cleaners is available with or without ammonia. pick up a bottle that is with it and you are good to go.

Screwbolts
Old 11-05-2008, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Screwbolts, I didnt even think about that.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Dominant Buck

I was just trying to suggest some simple things like the Windex. There are lots of things you can use. I personally make a solution of 50/50 mix of car windshield washer fluid and mix that with isopropyl alcohol. This makes a good swab for most powders.

When I mean do not be to quick to start cranking the sights.. at 15 yards that rifle should shoot almost a hole as a group. When I helped sight in my friends, we found 80 grains of Triple Se7en ( or was it Pyrodex RS) and a 240 grainXTP shot excellent groups. By his fifth shot, the group was so tight, I made an adjustment and lucked out, putting him dead on the bull. He's never adjusted it since.