Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hunting in the rain!!

Old 11-04-2008, 06:38 PM

Default Hunting in the rain!!

Ok i have a CVA Optima BP gun. The camo with the nickel barrel with the break-open action. i live in virginia and i probably hunted around 7 hours total today. i had a very tight baloon over the end of the barrel, but when i came home and discharged the sabot and the 2 pellets, they were very very dark in color and felt kind of moist. Can someone give me some tips on how to keep this from happening. I am pretty sure the moisture made its way in the gun through the break open part of the gun. Any tips would be appreciated.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting in the rain!!

ORIGINAL: Chrisdb1989

Ok i have a CVA Optima BP gun. The camo with the nickel barrel with the break-open action. i live in virginia and i probably hunted around 7 hours total today. i had a very tight baloon over the end of the barrel, but when i came home and discharged the sabot and the 2 pellets, they were very very dark in color and felt kind of moist. Can someone give me some tips on how to keep this from happening. I am pretty sure the moisture made its way in the gun through the break open part of the gun. Any tips would be appreciated.
Saran wrap over the breech area works great and a baloon or 1 finger of a vynal glove. Chap
Old 11-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hunting in the rain!!

WOW!! it sounds like you did everything right. The Optima is supposed to be pretty water tight in the breech and with that balloon over the muzzle, it would have had to be condensation inside the barrel. If the barrel was dry, I just don't see how it could have happened.

It would have been interesting to shoot the load and see how accurate it was.