Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

omega - what is the preferred load and bullet

Old 11-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Spike

Default RE: omega - what is the preferred load and bullet

I guess Im one of those guys that doesnt like changing things that work. I'm still shooting 100gr Pry Pellets and Hornady 300 gr xtp mags. They work great! Deadly on these Indiana whitetails..and very short tracking!
Old 11-04-2008, 02:57 PM

Thank you for your input. this forum was a good find for me, since i just discovered the internet.Will try different combos,just wanted a jump start with others knowledge
Old 11-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thank you for your input. this forum was a good find for me, since i just discovered the internet.
That can't be hntrruss. Al Gore discovered the internet.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:55 AM
Typical Buck

I have the Z5 Omega and just last week bought the exact rifle again for my son. Love that black on black!

The gun shoots 250 gr shockwave/Hornady SSTs extremely well over 100 gr 777 pellets. This is what I used until I became dissatisfied with the bullet performance. Great accuracy but the bullet seemed not to open much.

Now I use Speer Gold Dot 300 gr pushed by 120gr of loose 777. When that bad boy hits 'em they ain't goin' far. Accuracy is not quite what the Shockwaves gave but I'll gladly trade an inch of accuracy for terminal performance at the ranges I shoot.

What I have learned:

Open country and fields: I would use the Shockwave

Thick timber, cut-over where a bloodtrail is mandatory: Speer Gold Dot

I like to push them as fast as I can until I begin to start loosing accuracy then back down5 or so grains into the "sweetspot" For my gun that seems to be about 115-125 of loose 777 with the 300gr gold dot.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mouthcaller

I have the Z5 Omega and just last week bought the exact rifle again for my son. Love that black on black!

The gun shoots 250 gr shockwave/Hornady SSTs extremely well over 100 gr 777 pellets. This is what I used until I became dissatisfied with the bullet performance. Great accuracy but the bullet seemed not to open much.

Now I use Speer Gold Dot 300 gr pushed by 120gr of loose 777. When that bad boy hits 'em they ain't goin' far. Accuracy is not quite what the Shockwaves gave but I'll gladly trade an inch of accuracy for terminal performance at the ranges I shoot.

What I have learned:

I like to push them as fast as I can until I begin to start loosing accuracy then back down5 or so grains into the "sweetspot" For my gun that seems to be about 115-125 of loose 777 with the 300gr gold dot.
A Barnes TMZ 290g will offer great terminal performance, if you can get it to shoot well in your Omega. Chap Gleason
Old 11-06-2008, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Omega likes 240 grain XTP's over 100 grains of 777. It also shoots the Shockwaves and Dead Centers extremely well too.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

ORIGINAL: mouthcaller

What I have learned:

A Barnes TMZ 290g will offer great terminal performance, if you can get it to shoot well in your Omega. Chap Gleason

I heard that about the Barnes, as a friend and good hunter uses them with great success. Thus far I have been completely satisfied with the 300 gold dot because my shots rarely exceed 100 yards (145 has been the longest shot to date and he dropped like he was hit by a sledgehammer in the head. If I set up a gun for open beanfield/cornfield hunting or powerlines then the Barnes will be the bullet of choice for me

Is the one you mentioned the hollow point?

Thanks Gleason

Mouthcaller