Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

do you clean with a bronze brush?

Old 11-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default do you clean with a bronze brush?

i ran a wet patch down the barrel after shooting and it came out clean. i get home and run a brush down the bore and then a patch and the patch is really dirty. is the brush getting dirt the the patch didn'tor is the brush causing the dirt cause it could be leaving dirt behind?

how long should you use the same brush before replacing it?
Old 11-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: do you clean with a bronze brush?

outdoorsmen

Just me, but I never use the bronze brush unless I have too... and yes the bronze brush will cause a discoloration in the barrel and your patch will pick that up. Remember the bronze is suppose to wear off the brush without removing any metal from your bore.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:59 PM
Dominant Buck

I noticed that also. Dip that bronze brush in solvent and do your barrel and the next three patches come out dirty looking. I always blame the solvent and the brush. Actually I use the brush only when I suspect lead, copper, or plastic fowling in the bore, and that is not that often. Maybe once every several times to the range.. I do like to run Simple Green patches through the barrel ASAP after shooting, as that stuff will really pull the fowling out of the bore..
Old 11-03-2008, 04:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Used to use the bronze brush to assist in the removal of the 777 crud ring. The bronze brush wentaway when i switched to Pinnacle.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:22 AM
Typical Buck

i don't like to contaminate my bottle of solvent by dipping the brushes into the jar. i like to apply the solvent to the brush or mop down the bore, get it all wet then push in to dry brush.

i to clean my burshes too. with hot water to flush them out and with powder blast to hose them off.

i think i may shy away form using the brush on my muzzleloader as it seems to not help much. i may use it say once a year after season for a good cleaning.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

A lot of times I will run a dry brush down the bore to get most of the residue out of the barrel. Just 2 or 3 strokes and tap the muzzle lightly on my 1" thick rubber floor mat. Next I put the barrel (breach end) into hot soapy water. Dip the brush in the water and scrub the bore. Followed by patches to flush and mop the bore with the soapy water.
So my brush does the majority of the residue removal and the patches do the finish wiping and drying.