Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

shot triumph agian good and bad

Old 11-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default shot triumph agian good and bad

took the new triumph out and sighted her in. i was shooting 120gr. bh209 and 250gr. sst's with the black sabot.it shot good once i got it on paper. what it didn't do was like the barnes tmz with yellow sabot. i could not it it down the barrel at all. in fact i broke off my spin jag in my ramrod! my old triumph loaded and shot the tmz ust fine. this one i can't get it in the barrel. the sst's loaded easy with the black sabot. which sabot is that? the hph 12 or 24? and what model of ramrod comes with the triumph since i need a new one now?

Old 11-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: shot triumph agian good and bad

There are several thinner sabot it sounds like you need one perhaps the Harvester Crush Rib. I would not lap the barrel because its smaller than the other. Lee
Old 11-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Fork Horn

Outdoorsman,

While I shoot an Encore (pro-hunter), I too had the same problem with the TMZ. In fact, I was shooting today and managed to get the TMZ only half-way down the barrel. After trying all kinds of pressure and liquid, I had to remove the scope and "knock it out" from the breech end. And, given that I'm 6'4" and 230 lbs, I have no shortage of "push" in my ramrod. I mean the bullet was bigtime stuck. Oddly, I didn't have the problem with several TMZ's afterwards. Weird!!!!!!!

Hammer
Old 11-03-2008, 08:08 AM

290TMZ's won't work in my Triumph also. My first and last attempt resulted in a broken jag. Had to use a hammer to drive it out. I've found that the 300gn Remington HP.458 / BCR sabotshoot very well with 110 gnv BH so that's what I'll be shooting this year. You can get them at Cabelas for $25 a 100. That's a plus also.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Typical Buck

i gotthe tmz down about 4" with my short starter but forget it after that. i had to take out the breech plug and use a hammer and my rod (which was already ruined) and hammer it out. i can't believe how much of a difference there is from on gun to another. they were perfect in my first triumph. i had to use two hands with my range rod to push them down, nice and tight and they shoot great.