Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Big TN doe down!! Hornady FPB!

Old 11-01-2008, 10:47 AM
Typical Buck

Default Big TN doe down!! Hornady FPB!

Today is opening day in TN for our muzzleloader season.Got in and set up this morning about 45 mins before day light and while waiting for daylight a dang owl tried to fly in the ground blind with me,I yelled out loud a little,it scared the crap out of me!Daylight came and at about 7:30 1 doe cross in front of me,to far 10 mins later another doe to far,and another 10 mins another doe,all too far to shoot at,about 140 yds ranged.I felt that I would get a closer shot.At about 9:30 this doe steps out at about 100 yds and starts walking toward me,and I let her to to about 60 yds and I say thats close enough!And let my ol kodiak speak!Smoke flys and when it clears I see her running back the way she came with her tail up.I think to myself,there is no way i missed her.I get out of my blind,and go and look,feeling pretty discouraged,I find blood and say to myself,we got a doe down!So i go back to my blind and grab my kodiak and pick up the trail.It was a very good blood trail,she ran problly 40 yds and piled up.I shot her with the new Hornady FPB bullet and 2 triple seven pellets!The hole wasn't nothing to brag about,but I got a complete pass thru and it did give me a good blood trail to follow,so im happy![img]http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/">

Old 11-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Big TN doe down!! Hornady FPB!

Congrats!!!!!
Old 11-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the nice doe.That bullet did a good job.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:31 AM
Typical Buck

Excellent!

YES!

Way to go

Old 11-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Congratulations on the nice doe. That is some good eating there. Was this a frontal shot? The reason I ask is you mentioned not a good wound. Frontal shots I found will do that for some reason. Maybe because your hitting a lot of mass. Was her insides all messed up too? Those bullets you shoot interest me. I might have to get some and give them a try.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

She was quartering to me and I shot her in her chest at an angle and it came out right behind her shoulder on the opposite side.Her insides wasn't that tore up,but you could tell that I had got a double lung hit on her,I guess the bullet held up and didn't fragment.You knowing that was a frontal shot,was pretty awsome.I guess years of experience!
Old 11-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congratulations on the doe. Good report. so far all I have heard on the FPB has been good to excellant. Lee
Old 11-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Lee - have you shot them? If so what grain and what kind of powder charge?
Old 11-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great story.
I can relate about the owl.

Congrats on a fine kill
Old 11-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad you did good big guy.

I got out at 5:30am and heard deer milling around for probably half an hour. 15 minutes before shooting light, something spooked them and they ran off. I didn't see a darn thing all day after that.

Congrats again, she looks real good!!!

Quick Reply: Big TN doe down!! Hornady FPB!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.