Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

optima elite problem

Old 10-28-2008, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default optima elite problem

I have had this problem with my elite, thought i would run it by some of you to see what you think. For instance, when i fire my elite at a deer i reload right then. When i hunt with it a few days longer and try to fire it pop goes the cap, but no ingition. I can place another cap on it and it will fire. This has happened to me twice, but i dont want it to happen at all. When I am out just shooting it, it does just fine, no problems at all. Is it drawing mositure or is some fouling covering the breech hole? I am not really sure what is happening. I know its not the powder because i use it in my other muzzleloaders with no problem.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: optima elite problem

Boy that is a strange one. I wonder what would be killing the cap. Does the cap fully ignite or simply not go off.. It sounds like something is plugging the fire channel. What I would try is before you put a new primer on the next day, use a nipple pick and pick the breech plug good. Then put a new cap in place of the one that you hunted with the day before and see if that does not make a difference. Otherwise I would ask if you're swabbing, how wet is the patch and are you drying the barrel good...
Old 10-28-2008, 06:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

You're doing something I would never do gregrn. I'll hunt with a load in a clean barrel for days, weeks, or months without worry. But once I fire that gun and reload, that second load has to come out at the end of the day. I would never hunt a few days longer witha second load in a fouled bore. I think the fouling in your bore and nipple is gathering enough moisture to prevent the first cap from igniting the charge when you try it a day or two or three later.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:37 PM
FG

Are you using pellets?
Old 10-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

cayugad the caps are firing, they are winchester 209 caps. FG i am using P powder. Semisane I have done that for years with other muzzloaders with no problems. My white muzzleloader always fires, but you may be right I might not be able to do that with this elite.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:58 PM
FG

Sounds more like a moisture issue or even a bad primer.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well it does kinda sound like moisture to me. I think i will take semisane advice and clean that night and see if that takes care of it.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just a question: are you loading that FIRST load on a completely dry and oil-free bore?
Old 10-28-2008, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes completely dry and oil free.But when i loadit the second timeI am not swabbing out my barrel first. I just want to get it loaded and ready to go as quick as possible. I have done this for years and never had a problem, just cant understand why the elite is doing this?