Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ok, Crud ring and nipples!!!

Old 10-28-2008, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ok, Crud ring and nipples!!!

Will I ever get ALL the crap out of my barrel? Is there a tool for this? Also do they sell something for the primer hole?Mine is pretty dirty!!

Old 10-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Ok, Crud ring and nipples!!!

When you can't get the crap out of your barrel and your primer hole stays dirty - see a doctor pronto.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

Usually the crud ring will clean out with a couple passes with a water and dish soap soaked patch in my guns, and that is after 50 shots without swabing too. What are you using for a cleaning solution? And how many shots between cleanings?
Old 10-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Depending on the powder, Triple Se7en or Pyrodex Rs a simple solution of soap and water or Windex will take that out. As for the nipple, I soak them in Windex or some other such solution, even soap and water, and then with Q-tips clean the inside of the plug. A nipple pick will help clean the center. And then hit it with an air compressor to blow any water off. Then I like to pour pure alcohol through the breech plug, let that drain through, and then hit it with the air compressor one more time.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I keep a torch tip cleaner in my range box to clean my breech plug holes. You can find them at your local tool stores back in the welding/cutting torch area.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:30 AM
Fork Horn

I swab with blue Windex every 2-3 shots and after. I use Break Free Barrel Blaster to get the cracks. Finish with Bore Butter.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Really don't konw what type of rifle you are talking about but anyway. My cleaning process for a traditional ML is as follows. I fill a 3 lb coffee can or bucket with hot water and Dawn dishwashing liquid. Place breach end of barrel in this soapy water for a couple mins. Remove and take out nipple or touch hole and toss into the water. Put a pot of clean water on the stove to heat up.
Go back and scrub snail (if a percussion) with toothbrush and dip appropriate size bore brush in soapy water and scrub the barrel (whild breach end is still in soapy water container). Next is a patch on appropriately sized jag. Back and forth inside bore all the way down and up. The patch should be tight enough to create a vacuum sucking the soapy water through the snail or touch hole. Several strokes. Remove barrel from soapy water and take outside and hang barrel on nail by one of the ramrod tumblers. Put funnel in bore and pour the hot water (from stove) down the barrel. Bring in hot barrel (caution - very hot) and swab with dry patches to dry. Then an alcohol patch. I then use a patch with bore butter - some guys use gun oil.
Fish out the nipple or touch hole and dry off and clean hold with pipe cleaner. Apply anti sieze to threads and install. Wipe down barrel with quality gun oil adn reassemble rifle. Your good to go.