Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How To Avoid A Bang Flop

Old 10-28-2008, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How To Avoid A Bang Flop

ORIGINAL: falcon

Lesson one: Shoot it in the wrong place.

Gun: CVA StagHorn
Scope: Weaver Grand Slam 3-10X40

Load:
240 grain .430 XTP
110 grains of Pinnacle RS
Winc. 209shotgun primer

Saw this ratty buck last evening on the way to my tree stand. Had seen him before and decided to take him out of the gene pool if i had a chance. The deer was standing broadsidewhen sighted. Was unable to shoot from a sitting position because of the 3' tall gras. Stood up and he was looking at me. Popped off a shot and the deer threw up his tail and ran off. Range wasabout 90 yards.

Walked towhere the buck was standing and there was no hair or blood. Walked 75 yards into the woods and the buck took off. Found a lot of blood where he was standing and the tracking was on: Good blood trail. He jumped up out of the grass about 400 yards from where he was initially shot: i shot at him and broke a hind leg. Found him lying dead about 50 yards away from where he jumped up.

The bullet entered the shoulder of the deer and ranged down his side inside the body cavity. It exited the inside of the ham on the same side in two pieces.

Would have normally waited an hour or so and then tracked the deer. That deer was shot at 6:20 pm. Have to be off that militaryproperty by 90 minutes after sunset-8:15 pm, so i could not wait.

I thought you were the SW guy, why the switch to XTP? Good tracking job, 400 yards wow. You were diligent to get him given the shot, the time left and the hit not into the vitals. I use to hunt on Quantico Marine base and I know what ya mean by 90 minutes after sunset, no excuses, you don't come in you don't hunt there any more.
Chap
Old 10-28-2008, 05:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

I thought you were the SW guy, why the switch to XTP?
i'm a Shockwave/SST in the Encore guy. Have always used 240 grain XTP bullets in that CVA StagHorn. Still hunted for several hours and took that CVA gun because it is light and easy to get on target.

Good tracking job, 400 yards wow.
Thanks. There was a great blood trail. Must have been blood from the diaphram.Neither lung was hit and the deer did not bleed from the nose. Am well aware that iwas lucky with that shot. Will not do that again anytime soon. Here is the exit wound/s:

Old 10-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey guys, I sent the picture to the LSU deer study guy. Here's what he said.

The only thing I've seen similar to that resulted from bucks in velvet having their antlers essentially sliced in a fence. In essence, the bucks were running into a high fence after (we think) being chased by stray dogs. I think the bucks were lunging into the fence and portions of their tines or main beams were going through the mesh and being cut deeply, which resulted in the antler "dying" from that point outward. That could explain the blunt ends, which we saw in the cases I observed. We also noticed that the direction of the angle on the blunt end seemed to all be similar on each deer, but different among deer, suggesting that whatever trauma affected the antler did so at a similar angle, if that makes sense.

Hope this helps. I doubt seriously that the deer in the picture you sent suffered any genetic issue that caused such an antler growth pattern. Almost assuredly it was trauma during velvet.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:22 PM
Typical Buck

weren't you shooting after hours?
rack doesn't look like genetic problem.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: falcon
in the Encore guy. Have always used 240 grain XTP bullets in that CVA StagHorn. Still hunted for several hours and took that CVA gun because it is light and easy to get on target.
Oh, I see, several guns, several load/bullet combos. Same here, I have several rifles also and shoot different bullets in each:
TC FL 300g Gold Dot, 80g Goex, Crushed Rib sabot

Knight Disc 300g Barnes MZ with 100g of Blackhorn, 300g Nosler Partition HG with 100g 777 black Crushed rib

Omega 300g Barnes MZ supplied sabot with 100g of Blackhorn

Savage 300g Barnes Origonal 67g of 4198 Crushed Rib sabot, Barnes FlatNose 45/70 bullet Barnes Part No 45843, Crushed rib sabot,44g of 5744.

All shoot well with those loads. I have several boxes of XTPs and XTP/Mag 300g since the Savage was designed to shoot this bullet well.

What matters most is you got the deer, but I know after 100 or 200 yards or so how ya feel knowing that ya gotta be back to the based 1 hour after sun set and they post the times in the building. I quit hunting there because of that, archery in the evening.
Chap
Old 10-29-2008, 06:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks, Semisane.That is most likelywhat happened. That area is close to the wildlife refuge fence.

weren't you shooting after hours?
Nope. That deer was shot at 6:20 pm and found at approx.7:00pm. Sunset that day was at 6:41 pm OK City time. In OK we have to quit hunting 30 minutes after sunset.

I quit hunting there because of that, archery in the evening.
It is hard for an archery hunter to retrieve his deer within the allotted time. We have a lot of coyotes here and unless the deer or hog is retrieved they will almost surely get it.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

After that LSU response I rest my case. Semi - don't you ever doubt my inteli.....intelliga.....inteligens..........knowl edge again.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

After that LSU response I rest my case. Semi - don't you ever doubt my inteli.....intelliga.....inteligens..........knowl edge again.
Ya have to forgive the guy, he is only 1/2 there or here, his wife said it best, he is semisane.
Chap
Old 10-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Come on guys. Semisane beats halfnutz any day.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

YOU MEAN YOU ONLY HAVE ONE????????????????

Quick Reply: How To Avoid A Bang Flop

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.