Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

request for cva muzzleloader

Old 10-28-2008, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: request for cva muzzleloader

If I read your post correctly; you bought .50cal hollow point bullets. Did you actually buy .50cal pistol bullets? Usually the bullets that work with sabots in a .50cal muzzleloader are around .45cal depending on what sabot is used.I would suggest after you get all of the above done ESPECIALLY DETERMINING THAT THE RIFLE IS NOT ALREADY LOADED; then go purchase some already set up bullet sabot combinations from a ML supply store or Walmart but do not try to make your own combinations until you know a little more. If it is a CVA as stated it will also accept and shoot Powerbelt bullets quite well. I also suspect the rifle is either loaded which is a definate problem until you correct it or it has a lot of fouling in the breech area which if Tripple Seven was shot is very likely as it tends to form a crud ring just forward of the load area.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:01 PM

the bullets brand name is speer and they are hallo point .50cal
the sabos are knights but they are the wrong size, they are .50cal sabos that are ment to fit over a .44cal. and the gun has not been used, it's brand new, i never shot yet.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Speer ... look on the side of the bulk carton the bullets came in. If it says .451 or .452 diameter and they are a .45 caliber then get some Harvester (black in color) .45 caliber crushed rib sabots. Those will fit the Speer and you can shoot them out of the .50 caliber rifle.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you have the Speer 50 caliber bullets (i.e. SPEER BULLETS500 S&W .500 DIA. 350GR JACKET SOFT POINT 50 PER BOX) they can not be used in a 50 caliber muzzle loader with sabots. As Cayugad said, you need the .451 or .425 diameter bullets.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Speer ... look on the side of the bulk carton the bullets came in. If it says .451 or .452 diameter and they are a .45 caliber then get some Harvester (black in color) .45 caliber crushed rib sabots. Those will fit the Speer and you can shoot them out of the .50 caliber rifle.
He will have to get some sabots to fit44 cal if the Speer hollow points are .44 diameter or .40 diameter, as you know he can getsabots from MMP OR I believe it is best to buy packagebullets and sabots for a 50 cal muzzleloader, since he is so new at this ML stuff. Buying the package boxes of sabots and bullets is the best thing to do and it is best to buy them at a Sporting goods store that sells MLer rather than Walmart who have folks that are clueless about MLers.

Newbyhunter, can you take a picture of the bullet box where it says the size of the bullets and post it?
With the proper info we can help you correctly, I am feeling because your so new to this stuff that what we are saying is too much info and it is confusing to you, especially on bullet diameter and sabot sizing.
Chap
Old 10-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Semisane

If you have the Speer 50 caliber bullets (i.e. SPEER BULLETS500 S&W .500 DIA. 350GR JACKET SOFT POINT 50 PER BOX) they can not be used in a 50 caliber muzzle loader with sabots.
That is how I got my CVA Kodiak. Was at the range with my Hawken and the guy next to me asked if I could help him. He couldn't get his gun loaded. A quick look noted that he was trying to load a 50AE round into the back of the Kodiak. I told the guy what the issue was and offered to show him the right things needed to shot it. He got all PO'ed, handed me the rifle, said Merry Christmas (middle of July) and stormed out of the range.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

This thread actually has me skeerd.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:06 PM
FG

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

This thread actually has me skeerd.
You too?