Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

FLITZ-WOW!!!!

Old 10-26-2008, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default FLITZ-WOW!!!!

I decided to put my bore light down the CVA Optima that came back to me as I was still pulling out rusty looking patches,
There was some rust in there.
I went to Gander Mountain and bought a 54 cal brush and mop and got out the flitz,pulled the barrel off and put it in the vice.I put the brush on my extra ram rod put the flitz on put the rod in my cordless drill and went to work,I have been doing this on and off for the past few hours,I would do it a while and take a break then come back and go some more.
Well,I cleaned with hot soapy water,4 frelubbed patches 1 alcohol and one dry patch and WOW is that bore clean and shiney.
It did a great job.
I went aheah and put the 54 cal mop on there with Flitz and di my Encore bore and Double WOW.
I thing the CVA is going to be great.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: FLITZ-WOW!!!!

I don't think I would have used the power drill in a rifled barrel. I would think any kind of polish like that you don't want to rub it across the rifleing, instead you want to push the thing in and out in line with the rifleing. You may have rounded off the edges of the rifleing and that might effect the accuracy of the barrel. In and out is ok but round and round could be bad. Hope you didn't hurt your gun.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:44 PM
Dominant Buck

I have to agree with goatbrother on this.. I would not have used the drill. BUT if it worked for you, that's all that is important.

I have used a product that was talked about on this form called Never Dull. I wind that in a bore brush and then bore brush the barrel until the Never Dull turns black. It also seems to make a bore shine.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a nylon brush and the cotton bore mop.
I hope i didn't hur it.
When I run patches with the spin jag they follow the rifleing.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:14 PM
Typical Buck

You will know for sure next time you go to the range, I too hope it's ok. If you had used a moreaggressive abrasive you might have a problem.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I certanly dont want to mess up my gun.
I hope to go out tomorrow and shoot it.
I will let you know.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:38 PM
mountaineer magic

ORIGINAL: saxman1

I certanly dont want to mess up my gun.
I hope to go out tomorrow and shoot it.
I will let you know.
even if it affected the rifling all is not lost.The rifling should only be .005" deep. Just go at a little longer and turn it into a 50 cal. smooth bore musket

Old 10-26-2008, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

The optimist
I love it
Old 10-27-2008, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Saxman, I don't think you did anyharm. I don't believe the Flitz has that much of an abrasive compound to it. I know it can get tiring to run that rod back and forth down the bore, but it is the way to go. And it will accomplish the same task, just longer.

Nail anymore deer with that crossbow? I am still trying, but only have till friday to get one with my Ten Point GT-Curve. I may end up like my pard and go a season dry. He got his first last week after waiting till the second season to score.

Oh well Saturday is opening day for ML season. I will be able to reach out and touch those deer that were too shy to getin close for my xbow.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

hope I didn't harm it.
With me needing my shoulders replaced that kind of repetitive motion would kill me but I will do it that way from now on.
I haven't make anymore kills,I took a week off(not feeling well from the Chemo treatments) but I have a couple new spots set up that look promising.
The surveyors have run that sweet little machine all through through the woods and where they turnaround the make great little cut backs for a ground blind.
I have 2 set up for ML and have shots out to 125 (perfect)
I will go in today to see if the deer are visiting me

Quick Reply: FLITZ-WOW!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.