Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

NEWBI with a TC hawken 50cal

Old 10-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Spike

Default RE: NEWBI with a TC hawken 50cal

ORIGINAL: kirkll

PS..... i call BS on those caps going off "Every time"
WhenI got my Hawken in 84' my Dad pounded it my head that the gunwould not work if I did not take care of it. WhenI did my part and kept it clean it fired every time with CCI caps. My friend shot a renegade and always had issues, why, because he did not clean it regularly.

There has only been a few times when the gun has not goneoff, softsnapI assumed it was just a bad cap.

ws
Old 10-26-2008, 06:24 AM

I got the hawken cleaned up took me about 2hrs and 30patches(counting beers and boiling water ---that barrel do get hot) before I was satisfied. I took her down to complete parade rest and scrubbed the heck out of it inside and out. Then give it a good remoil wipe down on the outsited and lock internals. On the bore I used bore butter. Took it on the front porch and popped a couple of #11 CCI mag caps (w/ no load). Worked like a charm.

Taken it out this morning when the fog clears to sight in. I did buy some 295gr powerbelts HPsat wally world yesterday. Figured I would do the 1st few shots with the off brand conicals I bought then good 50-100yds sight in with the power belts. Both starting with 70gr pyrodex rs.

Should have the range report this evening. Gotta get sighted in season opens next SAT 01/11/08. The 1-5th are either sex days here in TN.

You guys have been great in getting me up and running. I am sure I will have more questions afte the 1st shoot.

Thanks alot.
Tony
Old 10-26-2008, 12:26 PM
FG

Dont go over 80gr RS with those 295's. That load will be plenty out to 150 yards if you can see that far. If they do group well, sight dead on at 100 and it will be 7" low @ 150 with the 80gr RS charge.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:35 PM

Well went shootin with my cleaned up Hawken....man what a blast.

50yds 8rds 295gr pwrbelts(100yds rifle target):
started with 70gr pryodex rs2rd- low 3in and left
bumped up to 80gr for 2 rds - low4in and left
sight adjustment
bumped up to 90gr for 2rds - 2in high and on center
1more rd at 90 gr - center
1 rd 300gr conical w/90gr pyrodex rs - outside edge of center low .5in

100yds 3rds
1 rd 295gr pwrbelts w/ 90gr pyrodex rs - low 1in center
2rds 300gr conical w/90gr pyrodex rs - low 2in and 1in left

End of ML shooting had to move on to my 30-06. I throughly enjoyed shooting the hawkens. I also think my sights are on now. Middle of the week I am going to try some of the pwrbelts at 80grs. I think it was more me than the gun after the sight adjustment. I also was trying to sight to thin initially. Opened it up some and got the heigth but it was still shooting left so made the right adjustment and gun was on. My buddy was really impressed with the hawken. He was shooting a Knight 50cal inline with a scope. At 50yds he nails the center and look smug. I get the sights dialed in on the ol sidelock and clip his center hole...he was diggin it..and I was too. 30-06 came right in more verification than having to sight in.

Anyway I still got some work to do with the 80gr of pryodex with the pwrbelts. But the gun functioned flawlessly.

Got back home hit the woods for some scouting saw 5 thats 13 in the last 2days on my acres...all does..but I did find 6 rubs today...2 fairly new..

I will let you guys know how the 80gr works outwith the 295grpwrbelts...also on the 300gr conicals(just alead glod dont even know thename).

Thanks for all your help with me getting this gun backinto action. and Yep I already gave her a scrub and lube she is clean and ready for the next range session.

Tony