Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

NEWBI with a TC hawken 50cal

Old 10-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NEWBI with a TC hawken 50cal

tony, welcome to the forum.

The very first thing I would is buy cleaning patchs, a ramrod, and an cleaning jig. why, to check if there is any thing blocking the breech area, (have had that happen to me).

Inspect that solvent patch for rust, bore butter, grime, or anything else. At this point I would pull the wedge pin and give that rifle a boiling water with dish soap bath. And let that thing soak in the water a little. What I am trying to do here is remove any bore butter, packing oils, etc. As you water bath that boiling water, it will float out the top of the barrel. Be sure to wear gloves or you will burn your hands.
also can check if the breech is clear.

I love pyrodex p out of most of my muzzleloaders. I have tried musket caps out of my tc new englander. had ignition problems. either rem #11 or cci #11 mags is what I use. something that will help when you go and shoot it. tap the rifle when you dump powder down the barrel. this will get some powder into the channel and closer to the nipple.

also play with deffernt nipples. I like hot shots and knight red hots.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:13 PM
Dominant Buck

I've done the same thing in a rain storm Sabotloader and it works perfect. Also on the muzzle end of the barrel to keep that dry and to prevent water going in there, some people put electric tape over the muzzle (not to worry it will blow right off when you shoot. Just never put something that will plug the barrel like a cork I saw one fool using). I have used cling wrap, and now I go to Wal Mart and get extra large finger cots. They will go over the end of the barrel and keep the water out.

Be sure to swab the oil out of the barrel before you load. Maxiball shoot good out of my Hawkins. Normally I shoot 80 grains of powder and that is plenty for about anything you want to hunt. Good luck with your rifle.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:19 PM

Hey Tony, i wasn't kidding about running the gauntlet on different loads and ammo... everyone seems to have the perfect load, type of powder,bullet, conical,sabot, or round ballpreference, how to clean and care for your weapon, type of lube, type of caps...etc...etc... it goes on and on and on and on.... every shop you go into has different philosophies.... it can be a fun adventure or a frigging nightmare depending on how you look at it, and how accurate you want that thing to shoot...the tricky part is...you take 3 different 50 cal Hawkens, line em up and shoot em all... you are going to findthat the same load shoots differently in each one.... they all got a personality it seems... for instance... i ran 3 boxes of 370 grain maxi ball with pyrodexRS through mine at all kinds of loads from 70- 100 grains and couldn't get decent groups at 50 yards, much less a 100 yards...then i switched powder and they did a little better with the pyrodex P... then i went to Horady great plains conicals and was punching 2" groups with iron sights at 100 yards with only 70 grains..... the bottom line is take all the advice you can get....and definately take it wuith a grain of salt...then play with it till your happy.....

cav.... i'm sorry if i offended you by calling BS.... but you stated those things will go off "Every time"....i still call BS... because they dont....plain and simple...... i used two differnt high quality caps sold to me by reputable black pouder shops and had both brands end up with a dud here and there....swiching a nipple to a muscat cap isn't any different than switching to a stainless steel # 11 nipple... i think the possible damage to the hammer due to a hotter cap is a stretch too... if that was the case TC wouldn't make them for the Hawken model i would think....

bottom line is i'll stand down here and defer the expertize to you seasoned vets. i worked my ass off to get that Hawkens dialed in, and i ended up harvesting a deer with it... i'm happy..... Good luck Tony!

Old 10-24-2008, 04:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Actually the older the rifle you get the more a musket cap can wear on the hammer spring because of the increased pressure the musket caps will create. This is only something I read and can not say I have personal experience with it because I never put a musket nipple in a rifle when I can shoot a #11 cap instead. But if you like the musket cap, then by all means shoot them. I bought up seven tins a few years back and am still shooting them top hats off.

And "every time" was not taking into account a dud cap. You can get a dud with musket caps, #11 capeven a 209 primeras well. I use a CCI musket cap on my Black Mountain Magnum and have had two duds in one tin. So that is just something that will happen. I am not going to change over to something else. The rifle was set up for musket caps and that is what I will shoot. What I am saying is if the rifle is set up right, loaded properly, I have never had problems with a #11 cap. Unless of course it was a dud. And I refuse to shoot CCI standard caps as I consider them sub standard. The old Remington caps were terrible for misfires and duds as well. I shoot the CCI Magnum or RWS Dynamite Noble 1075 and have very few problems if any. The new Remington 40% hotter seem to be a huge improvement over the old Remington.

Also if a rifle acts up sometimes a simple fix is change the powder you shoot. I have a friend with a Traditonal rifle that will not shoot Pyrodex RS in a consistant manner. I loaded him with some real Black Powder and all his problems disappeared.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:46 PM

yea these things can be fickle... i had the same results going from RS to P... i also had some old RS powder that gave me fits!
i think i'll keepmy 50 cal Hawken around for a novelty wall hanger, and play with it now and then when the mood strikes me. it wasn't the most comfotable weapon i've used for hunting... think i'll stick with my bows and arrows for that....you guys have fun, and thanks again for all the help you gave me last summer getting mine going....Kirk
Old 10-24-2008, 06:56 PM

Thanks again fellas, I just got back. Got some pyrodex RS some 320gr coniecals (off brand) and some other supplies. I also scored a new pair of Rocky 800 ranger hunting boots for 90.00 (they had some danners for 90 bucks too but they were 1200 thinsinulate thought that was to insulated for my area North east TN.)...

Anyway gotta do a scrub and lube..then sling some lead. I will order the TC maxiballs. I just bought the off brand bullets so I can shoot this THANG...I will let you guys know how it turns out on my first firings..believe I will start with 70gr 1st then do 80 and 90 see what happens at 50-100yds...should have done this a long time ago...center fires are fun an what I have always hunted with...but this I believe is going to be pretty dang enjoyable...thanks

Tony
Old 10-24-2008, 07:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Great Plains conicals also shoot well. The only conical that really stunk in my Hawkins were maxi hunters and Lyman conicals. Good luck with the rifle. I will be watching for your range report.

I should warn you, if you shoot that thing it will hook you. And then you will be burning powder after that.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Great Plains conicals also shoot well. The only conical that really stunk in my Hawkins were maxi hunters and Lyman conicals. Good luck with the rifle. I will be watching for your range report.

I should warn you, if you shoot that thing it will hook you. And then you will be burning powder after that.
tell me about
Old 10-25-2008, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: forvols

Greetings all. I am brand new to ML shooting. As a gift I recieved a TC Hawken 50 calthat is about 20yrs old. Gun looks to be in excellent shape on the exterior but I dont know about the interior of the weapon. Its been hanging on the wall for the past 2yrs but I decided this year I am going to shoot and hunt with it. So I got a few questions.

1. What do I first need to do with the weapon?
I am very sure it is not loaded but how can I verify. I know I should have verified this when I received. Feel pretty stupid on that. The ramrod will go into the barrel leaving about a half inch of the ramrod sticking out of the barrel.

2. What powder? load amount? cap? bullet?
3. Is there a 209 conversion kit for a side hammer?
4. What other ML supplies do I need to get?

So any help you guys can provide is great appericated. Nice forum here too.

Thanks
Tony
With regard to your #3 question, Yes there is here:

http://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/mag-spark.html

Chap

Old 10-25-2008, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: forvols

Greetings all. I am brand new to ML shooting. As a gift I recieved a TC Hawken 50 calthat is about 20yrs old. Gun looks to be in excellent shape on the exterior but I dont know about the interior of the weapon. Its been hanging on the wall for the past 2yrs but I decided this year I am going to shoot and hunt with it. So I got a few questions.

1. What do I first need to do with the weapon?
I am very sure it is not loaded but how can I verify. I know I should have verified this when I received. Feel pretty stupid on that. The ramrod will go into the barrel leaving about a half inch of the ramrod sticking out of the barrel.

2. What powder? load amount? cap? bullet?
3. Is there a 209 conversion kit for a side hammer?
4. What other ML supplies do I need to get?

So any help you guys can provide is great appericated. Nice forum here too.

Thanks
Tony
With regard to #2, I have a TC Flintlock and I use real Bp in it, Goex, either 70 or 80g seems about the most accurate. You could use Goex or you could use Pyrodex RS 70 or 80 in it. I have used RBs, PowerBelts, but now use a Speer Gold Dot 300g with a Crushed rib sabot in my Flintlock. I don't like the round balls because of lack of penetration. As for conicals such as Great Plains, etc I have tried several (TC MaxiHunters, etc) and the do a very nice job on deer, but I like the Gold Dots the best because they penetrate, the heavy weight conicals do also. I figure accuracy is king and penetration is queen,and the Gold Dotsalso expand well, but you may not be able to use sabots in your state. I would use a Powerbelt or a Harvester Sabertooth 300g or a Speer 300g with a Crushed rib sabot in a 1:48 twist. sight in 50 yards, open sights, 1" high, you will be dead on at 75 yards and 2.2" low at 100, see below. Chap Gleason

Quick Reply: NEWBI with a TC hawken 50cal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.