Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Rem. Genesis, Hornady FPBs

Old 10-20-2008, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rem. Genesis, Hornady FPBs

Went to the range Friday. Shot the Genesis for the first time. Load was 350 gr Hornady FPBs, 100 Pyrodex RS, Triple 7 209 primers. I swabbed between shots with 50/50 windex and alcohol. Did not notice any crud "ring". Used a range rod, the one on the gun is a pain.

Shot 6 times at 50 yds, two to get on the paper, then 4 at a Shoot N C target that I stuck on a pistol target that was already there. Tried to embed it in this post, hope it worked.The first two shots were about 3" high, through the same hole. I adjusted the scope then shot two more, about 1" center to center, about 2 inches high. Right whereI wantedit.

The gun functioned fine. I didn't have the trouble priming/depriming that some mention. The trigger was actually good, not sure whatweight, but about right for me on a hunting gun.Obviously the gun shot accurately, so no complaints there.

I had some trouble loading theFPBs. They were tough to get started, and the starter I was using wasn't meant for FPBs, kept getting stuck on the tip insert. The muzzle of the gun is overbored for about .75" to aid in starting bullets, but I think it makes loading FPBs harder. Can't really tell if you're centered or not. Once you get them lined up and press straight down, they do load pretty easy all the way to the charge. If anyone has a tip for loading these, I'm all ears.

The ramrod isbarely long enough. With the bullet seatedfirmly onthe 100 grain charge, the ramrod was nearly flush with the end of the muzzle. Going to look around for a custom rod I guess.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rem. Genesis, Hornady FPBs

It doesn't always (as in rarely) go that easy with load development, but you rolled a 7. Good shooting!
Old 10-20-2008, 09:08 AM
Dominant Buck

You have my hopes up. If they tune in that fast, I might really get to like this rifle I ordered.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, I was very happy with the accuracy of the load.

I am trying to think of a way to load those bullets with less difficulty though. I can envision reloading in the woods, fumbling with starter and all.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Normally if there is a false muzzle, you can set the conical or sabot in there, and push down hard with your thumb and get them to set. Then they do not seem to be so hard to drive in with the short starter.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

As you'll soon see, the Genesis does have the false muzzle. Thing is, it is bored out enough to allow the FPB some wiggle room. When you drop the FPB into the muzzle, you really have to center it or it just won't start. A sabotedbullet would probably center itself.Hopefully a starter that is made for FPBs will help.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:11 PM
FG

i wonder if you switched to pyrodex P if all the shots would be grouped tight and rid of that shot thats lower?
Old 10-20-2008, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: UncleNorby

Going to look around for a custom rod I guess.

Good shooting, RMC Sports has custom ram rods, strong for $30.

http://rmcsports.com/rmcsports_cfmfiles/product.cfm?section=1398

Chap
Old 10-20-2008, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is what I use to start them:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...amp;hasJS=true

With this loading tip so they don't hang up on the tip:

You might also use something like this to seat the bullet firmly:

Old 10-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Dominant Buck

I meant to ask you.. was the rifle scoped? If so, where did you get the mounts. Also I have debated between the one piece or the two piece mounts. I looked at some Durasight, but was told by a gun smith that some of them are not all that good. So I looked up Weaver bases and they said a 418M could fit the rifle. Then another site said it would be the Weaver 48435 so I called Cabela's and they suggested a DuraSight or a Woods Trophy sight..

Quick Reply: Rem. Genesis, Hornady FPBs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.