Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I'm ready to give up...

Old 10-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I'm ready to give up...

On slugs. The past three days I've been trying to dial in my 1187 that I've hunted with for the past7-8 years. I took the Nikon scope I had on it and switched it to my KRB when I got it this spring. As one of my retirement presents the staff bought me a new Nikon Pro Staff muzzleloader/shotgun scope. I think I got a bad one. Rings/mounts are tight. Shoot two slugs ok, 3rd shot POI changes, then slugs fly everywhere. I've never had this much problem sighting in[:@]. After 20+ years I know my slug guns. I guess I'll contact Nikon and send it in. I sure do love my muzzleloader right now. Whew......ok I feel a littlebetter.

Sorry, it is kinda about muzzleloaders.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: I'm ready to give up...

Well I know nothing about slug guns other then I used to shoot them with open sights. These new slug guns are more like a rifle almost...
Old 10-18-2008, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

What kind of barreland slugs ? What do you clean your barrel with ?? Not sure if this will help you, but i was shooting my 1187, after putting the new shurtshot stock on it at the range. I was shooting under 3" at 100yds. The guy next to me is shooting his 1100 all over the paper. We both had remington caneteilver barrels with scopes. I asked what he cleaned his barrel with , and he says a tornado brush. Well that doesnt domuch for a rifled barrel. We took a bronze brush with a patch wrapped around it and ran it through there, it looked he was shooting black powder out of it, scrubbed it for awhile and he was shooting pretty good with it. We were both shooting lightfields.....
Old 10-18-2008, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's a factory Remington rifled cantilever barrel. I'm a clean freak so I don't think it's that. In the last three weeks I've shot Lightfields, Rem Copper Solids, SST's, Ferderal Barnes Vital Shocks. I've spent some big bucks on sabots. I was wanting to try the new Remington Accu Tips but I just can't bring myself to pay $20+ Tax for a box of 5 slugs. Today I was shootin plain Remington Sluggers. My trouble started with the changing of the scope so, I'm gonna maybe change that out this week. I've got a good Bushnell 1.5-4 shotgun scope. I'm thinking that new scope might be the culprete.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

dont waste your money on those accutips. I bought some at Dicks buy one get one half off. And they didnt shoot any better than lightfields. I cannot find anything that groups as tight as lightfields out to 100 yds.