Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Help compare KRB7 & KP1 (also Lyman Mustang Breakaway)

Old 10-16-2008, 12:23 PM

Default Help compare KRB7 & KP1 (also Lyman Mustang Breakaway)

I have a .45 cal Hawken replicawhich is a tack driver at short range, butthinking about getting a newmuzzleloader. I've got it narrowed down to a couple of Knights (Rolling Block KRB7 and the KP1) but I kind of like the looks of the Lyman Mustang Breakaways too.

This would be for hunting whitetail deer at 150 yards max (and probably under 100 yards 99% of the time). I was planning on using some kind of conical bullet.

Any thoughts pro or con on any of these regarding accuracy, ease of use and ease of cleaning (my Hawken is a real pia to clean)?
Old 10-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Help compare KRB7 & KP1 (also Lyman Mustang Breakaway)

I think Underclocked has owned the two Knights.. he did say once or someone that the rolling block was a good conical shooter. As for the wood on the Mustang it is pretty but is it really wood?
Old 10-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

The KP1 has it all over the KRB7 so far as functionality but the KRB7 is far easier to clean. I've no personal knowledge of the Mustang but have a complete portfolio of pictures thanks to semi.

I'll makesuggestion of one other rifle to add to your consideration in a similar price range - the CVA Accura.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:13 AM

Thanks, but I just don't care for the looks of the thumbhole stock of the Accura. The Lyman has what they call an "Ultra Grain Wood Finish" which sounds like something painted on, but still looks decent.

Underclocked--Can you elaborate briefly on the functionality advantages of the KP1? I am definitely liking the "easier to clean" of the KRB7, though, since that is the main reason I don't shoot my Hawken more.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a KRB and it is extreaming easy to clean. It shoots about anything I've tried in pretty good. I like the drop out tigger assembly for cleaning. The only downfall for me is the fact that I can't shoot the Blackhorn 209 powder out of it yet...but maybe soon. I don't know if the KP1 has the same breech plug design or not.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I could, yes. http://www.sunrisearchery.com/KNIGHT_KP1.htm Neither of the Knights in question are very good for someone that intends to use open sights - the KRB7 would be the worst choice in that regard. KRB7 is one of the easiest guns to clean that I've ownedbut it will not be a good choice if you intend to use BH209.

I'm not trying to talk you into or out of anything... But are you set on a thumbhole stock? The Accura does come in other configurations.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Typical Buck

Nice looking rifles you've got there, UC.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice looking!
Old 10-17-2008, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

I could, yes. http://www.sunrisearchery.com/KNIGHT_KP1.htm Neither of the Knights in question are very good for someone that intends to use open sights - the KRB7 would be the worst choice in that regard. KRB7 is one of the easiest guns to clean that I've ownedbut it will not be a good choice if you intend to use BH209.

I'm not trying to talk you into or out of anything... But are you set on a thumbhole stock? The Accura does come in other configurations.

uc what are we going to do with you
Old 10-18-2008, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shovels?

I should have explained the picture - it's been chopped but only to put the two rifles together. So it is two variations of the Accura in almost real life. Mine (black spiderweb) wasn't really there and I changed the floor as well as a few other things. The unaltered room and the camo model belong to a fellow in SC - "Flint Head".

Quick Reply: Help compare KRB7 & KP1 (also Lyman Mustang Breakaway)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.