Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Triumph question

Old 10-13-2008, 11:32 AM

Default Triumph question

I recently purchased my first ML and decided to go with the T/C Triumph. While shooting it for the first time yesterday and sighting it in, I went with the Nikon Omega BDC, I made sure to do two swipes with a dry patch after every shot. I had to put several rounds through the Triumph as the bore sighting done by my gunshop did not seem to be even close at 50 yards. After a few shots I was not able to pull the cleaning rod back out through the muzzle and was forced to remove the breachplug after each shot to run the dry patch through. I assumed thishad to do with the breach area getting more residue after each shot. I am shooting Triple Seven at 150grains with a 250 grainHornady sabot.

Is this normal or is there something else I should be doing? I don't expect I would have to put more than a few rounds through the gun at a time now that I have it zero'd in, but want to make sure I am doing the right thing with my purchase. Once I got home the overall thorough cleaning of the Triumph was very easy and looks like new again. I am very happy with this ML and am glad I did my homework.

Looking forward to my first ML hunt as I have always hunted bow and shotgun seasons in the past.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Spike

Default RE: Triumph question

When I first started shooting my Triumph, I was shooting 777 Magnum pellets and was "spit" patching between shots. If not enough spit applied, the patch would get stuck. One way to get this freed up without taking out the breech plug would be to pour a little bore cleaner down the muzzle. I read a few articles on some of the muzzleloader forums where some of the guys were using Windex without ammonia to clean between shots. I gave it a try and found it really works well. Never had a stuck patch after that.

I hated the crud ring and the patching between shots using the pellets so decided to go with the load many Triumph users were recommending. TC ShockWave 250gr (or SST) with the Harvester Short black sabot and 110gr by volume of Blackhorn 209. Nice when at the range sighting in as no swabbing between shots is necessary. Accuracy is as good as my centre fire with my first three shots using this combination giving me a 3/4 inch group at 100 yards.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:05 PM

benamen, thank you for your feedback I will give that a try. I never would have guessed the answer would have been "put some windex on it", from My Big Fat Greek Wedding.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, the difficulty in swabbing was due to accumulated fouling. Yes it is normal.

A 50/50 mixture of windex and isoprophyl alcohol is popular for swabbing between shots, one saturated patch followed by a dry patch.