Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Took the kids to the range.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Took the kids to the range.

I was able to get the kids out over the weekend for some practice before their mule deer hunt starting next weekend. My 17yo is shooting a Winchester Apex 50 and the 15yo is shooting a CVA Optima 50. both guns are sighted in with a 200gr SW and 100gr of BH209. I had to tweek the scope on the Optima just a bit for my son's shooting position but the other son shoots to the same point as I did when I sighted them in. Both boys were shooting under 3" at 100 yards so they should be good for the hunt.

I also got in a bit of practice with my White and chalenged my 17yo to shoot some clay pigions we had set up at 200 yards. Neither of us hit one directly but I was getting within 3 or 4 inches of them with my peep sight, he was about that close using a scope. Since I am hunting elk with that setup I think I am close enough to feel good out to at least 150 yards.

One negative in the session was my MagBolt. For the second time the trigger freaked out and the gun went off when taking the safety off. The first time it happened I thought it was a loose or dirty trigger and cleaned it up and checked the mounting screws. In the shop it seemed to be working so I took it out to sight in for my deer hunt. On the 5th shot it went off when taking it off safety (yes,I had it on the target when I flipped it off safe). Further testing back at the shop showed that it would work normal IF I didn't put the gun back into safe, but if I put the gun in safe and then excercised the bolt it would fire upon flipping the safety off. NOT GOOD. I talked to customer service at CVA this morning and they are shipping me a new trigger today, should be here with in a week or so. My deer hunt is in about 4 or 5 weeks so I hope I can get it up and going in time, if not I can use my White.

Just another remider to always practice safe gun handeling.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Took the kids to the range.

BTW, it is very difficult to see a clay pigeon at 200 yards through a peep sight.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:28 PM

Murph

Theres nothing like spending the day at the range with th kids sounds like the boys are ready to go and shooting quite well also . Hope they harvest a biggun will be watching for Pic & story .
GOOD LUCK GUYS

Old 09-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Dominant Buck

You have better eyes then me.. I could not even see that clay bird at that distance probably. Even with a scope I would have a hard time hitting it. That's why when people shot their 200 yard groups, I am amazed at some of the groups they can shoot with their muzzleloaders.

Good luck to you and the boys hunting..
Old 09-15-2008, 06:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

200 yards???? I might consider shooting at the boxthe clay pigeons came in.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

dmurphy317

realy "cool" to have a family outing doing something fun.... a family that plays together stays together.... I wish some of these very busy parents would figure that out....

I was shooting pigeons @ 100 today with my second "half Renegade" - open sights - not even fiber optics - @ 100 they are just a dot - I did 200 a couple of times but it was with a scope.... I like Semi's thought @ 200 shoot the box - and I would add with the birds in it - you are bound to brake some...
Old 09-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the well wishes, we will be happy if we see any deer, last year we didn't see any in the area we were hunting.

Those clay pigeons do get real small at 200 yards. I was barely able to even see them unless the sun came out andhit them justright. Even then they were like pin dots. It took a while to verify I was shooting at the one I told my son to watch through his scope to see how close I was hitting. They were placed at about 18" intervals but at that range it was tough to tell which one I was aiming at. I was happy to be getting within 4" of them. I'm glad an elk is much larger than those pigeons, if I get a shot at one.