Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question for gleason.chapman or others

Old 09-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question for gleason.chapman or others

Hi, you seem to have awealth of knowledge about different projectiles. I am looking to find the minimum and maximum velocities for maximum effectiveness of different muzzleloader bullets. I know powerbelts and other lead projectiles would be on the low end while all copper bullets like Barnes would be on the high end of the scale. While I know that bullet placement is the most important thing it would also be nice to know I am using the right bullet for the right powder charge.
For example, I am going to hunt a special muzzleloader season that I am planning on using my 22 inch Knight Wolverine for. It shoots Barnes Expanders really accurately with 85 grainsof Triple 7 but I am wondering if I would have enough zip for these bullets. Maybe I would be better off with the Hornady XTP's which also shoot pretty good.
Any info or sources of this kind of information would be appreciated.
Thanks, Art
Old 09-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Question for gleason.chapman or others

flounder33

Shoot Art, I am not a Barnes expert other than knowing they are a super bullet. Since i do not know for sure what the Barnes Expander is for sure, like weight and nose construction - I will tell you that 85 grains of T7 will be very effective out to a given range - probably 100 and some beyond. If you are using T7-3f with that short barrel you will even pick up some additional velocity. My only concern would be a shota close range and a zip through(and I am assuming you are hunting deer)- but with the Barnes reputation - I can not imagine it would be a problem - I know one of my Nosler 260's or either of the Gold Dots (250 or 300) would also work.

My personal beleif good planning on your part and good hunting...
Old 09-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Based on the cow elk my son shot 2 years ago with a Barnes 250 using 90gr of 777 I would say you have little to worry about with 85gr of powder. He hit the elk at about 85 to 90 yards and had a complete pass through with full expansion and less than 5 yards of tracking (if you can call that tracking). The XTP will work fine also but is not as tough a bullet as the Barnes.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Typical Buck

I'm sort of partial to a .458 cal 300 grain Nosler Partition, but I'll admit they are pricey. A MMP Orange Sabot and 110 gr BH209 and we are good to go!
Old 09-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shot the Barnes Expander for years in my 22 inch Knight Disc, it preferred 100grs of Pyrodex R-S...
Your 85gr load of 777 will have a similar velocity...No worrys...
Old 09-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Dominant Buck

That 85 grains and a Barnes Expander has been my hunting load in my Wolverine. I have yet to take a critter with it, but never throught myself under gunned. I would not be too worried. Shot placement is the main thing and you can already do that. The rest is a matter of getting the game out of the woods. That is, if you can find it.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the replies so far. I am pretty sure to get drawn for a special muzzleloader hunt in one of our state parks. This would be after Thanksgiving so I still have time to fine tune everything.
Art
Old 09-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

According to the Barnes literature their bullets are designed to open up on flesh down to 1100 feet/sec. I think you should be well above that even down range.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: flounder33

Hi, you seem to have awealth of knowledge about different projectiles. I am looking to find the minimum and maximum velocities for maximum effectiveness of different muzzleloader bullets. I know powerbelts and other lead projectiles would be on the low end while all copper bullets like Barnes would be on the high end of the scale. While I know that bullet placement is the most important thing it would also be nice to know I am using the right bullet for the right powder charge.
For example, I am going to hunt a special muzzleloader season that I am planning on using my 22 inch Knight Wolverine for. It shoots Barnes Expanders really accurately with 85 grainsof Triple 7 but I am wondering if I would have enough zip for these bullets. Maybe I would be better off with the Hornady XTP's which also shoot pretty good.
Thanks, Art
The Barnes MZ hollow point are huge and expand well in FLESH and hold together in bone hit. 85g is a good light load for a 300g bullet. I like the 300 over the 250 cuse I have had Noslers hang up under the skin on the off side, but the 300g don't do that. Another bullet that is EXACTLY the same as the MZ is the Barnes 45/70 bullet called the TSX part number 45843, that is very accurate in my Savage and is cheaper than the MZ, same exact hollow point as the MZ. Since it is a rifle bullet, the performance is better at the higher velocities, which won't be your case. I would perfer the Barnes over the XTP 300g since they don't fragment, and XTPs loose their jacket especially on close hit. I didn't say the don't kill and I didn't say they were a poor bullet, they are excellent, but Barnes are a bit better for oblique shots and shoot thru with great expansion and 100% weight retention. Try the 45/70 bullet, I bought them fro like $17 from Mid South and they were Available. Barnes Origonals are very hard to find now. You gotta get them in June and July to have a November supply, 2 boxes of 50.
Best Wishes on your selection,
Chap Gleason
Old 09-11-2008, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

ORIGINAL: flounder33

Thanks, Art
The Barnes MZ hollow point are huge and expand well in FLESH and hold together in bone hit. 85g is a good light load for a 300g bullet. I like the 300 over the 250 cuse I have had Noslers hang up under the skin on the off side, but the 300g don't do that. Another bullet that is EXACTLY the same as the MZ is the Barnes 45/70 bullet called the TSX part number 45843, that is very accurate in my Savage and is cheaper than the MZ, same exact hollow point as the MZ.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0003545843 (yep, $17.56)

Since it is a rifle bullet, the performance is better at the higher velocities, which won't be your case. I would perfer the Barnes over the XTP 300g since they don't fragment, and XTPs loose their jacket especially on close hit. I didn't say the don't kill and I didn't say they were a poor bullet, they are excellent, but Barnes are a bit better for oblique shots and shoot thru with great expansion and 100% weight retention. Try the 45/70 bullet, I bought them fro like $17 from Mid South and they were Available. Barnes Origonals are very hard to find now. You gotta get them in June and July to have a November supply, 2 boxes of 50.
Best Wishes on your selection,
Chap Gleason