Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need Blackhorn 209 Information

Old 08-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Need Blackhorn 209 Information

We had frost the other night in low areas. I only had 33ºs. I had to cover the gardens and still the leafs that touched the tarps died. BUT the main plant made it for a little while longer. So we still have tomatoes..

I am wondering inNovember, when it can get -20º or it can get 65 above. You just never know how this powder will react. One second you're shivering and the next sweating. It can be raining and then suddenly turn to snow. So this powder if it is hard to light might be very interesting. I am going to use a real hot primer with it, and am saving five loads for the hunting season from my last jug.

The part of Northern Wisconsin where I liveis a cold and very snow dense area. Not as bad as parts of northern Michigan mind you where they get up to 200+ inches of snow a year. Our worst year I think we had 153 inches of snow (give or take a foot). Granted that's almost thirteen feet of snow, but it is not all on the ground at one time. We are effected by Lake Superior a lot in the winter. When the snow comes off the lake, you better be ready to shovel. I'm warm compared to Alaska, Canada, and parts out west in the mountains I was told.

I've muzzleloader hunted one morning, when it was -32º F and did not like it. I did not stay out too long either. And stood in a tree stand one afternoon when it was around -20ºF until my toes went numb. But once I am aclamated to the cold, it really does not bother me. I've been know to sit on my range in well below freezing and shoot most of the afternoon away. Our muzzleloader season runs after modern deer season, through December and sometimes into January. January can be COLD!!!

This is a very interesting place to live. I am sure the powder will do real well.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: vaslugger

Just gettting back into muzzleloading again and have always used pyrodex and mostly T777 and always liked the T777 but how good is the Blackhorn 209 that I am hearing about.Is the accuracy as good as they say and especially how good is it for not being corrosive to the barrel.They also claim it loads easier with follow up shots and wonder if this is true as normally I use the Barnes Expander bullets which I think load pretty hard but they are so accurate and have such great expansion so that is why I want to stick with them.Any feedback will be appreciated. Mike
I am switching to it in my Omega, no swabbing necessary and I only shot about 10 shots with it, but it was accurate and very little smoke. I like it, I think the cost will come down as it gets more widespread. The picture is a 3 shot 100 yard group in an Omegawith a Barnes 300g MZ with supplied sabot and 100g of BH, Federal Primer. It loads much easier than 777. The expansion is a function of the bullet your using not the powder. Chap Gleason

Old 08-28-2008, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

saxman1

I read somewhere that there is a 45cal casing and primer breech plug conversion that supposedly sets of the BH209 no matter what.
Yep! heard the same thing but who makes the conversion and what guns will it fit???

I think they are using that in the Ultimate...
It was on the ultimate sight but I saw it somewhere else also,I will look into it
Old 08-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks so much to all that replied.I will give this some serious consideration and will also be thinking of T777 to possibly use.I know how good T777 is and the cost is still high on the Blackhorn 209 so maybe it will come down.I will be shooting it in a Remington Genesis which will be in next wednesday as I ordered two of them one for me and also my nephew.By far muzzleloading is the most fun to hunt with even though I love my sluggun.Just something to watch that smoke from the barrel and wait till it clears to see if you got that deer.Thanks so much to all that replied! Mike