Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Accura

Old 09-21-2008, 10:26 PM
Spike

Default RE: CVA Accura

Ill check out that "FLITZ" stuff. As for the welding im not sure. A screw in lug would definately be sturdy, buta slide in lug isnt. Its not even pinned or even dimpled.I wont mess with it for a while. But i can seethat possibly over time this will wallowout and become a possible issue on these rifles.

After a year or sothere were be replacement barrels and then i will make this correction.

I am not a smith by any means but i have tinkered with a few and have rebuilt bolt catches on a bunch of old savages for poeple. As well as cracked welding on few forend lugs. Its all in the amount of heat used and that is why TIG is the only way to go.

j
Old 09-21-2008, 10:34 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

Thanks for all the pics, they are an education in themselves. When you get time to respond, I notice an apparent "brass wire" looking thing running across the hinge pin - what might that be?Annnnnnd, is the receiver section made of the same stainless as the barrel (or is it some lighter alloy)?

Thanks again. It looks like a well done design. Let us know how much blowback gets down into the action and/or escapes from the barrel to action intersection.
the "brass wire" is actually just a strange reflection from the flash of the camera.

the frame is aluminum, checked it with a magnet. I might light off a couple tomorrow night to check blow back for you guys. plus im dying to make it go "bang".

j
Old 09-21-2008, 10:39 PM
Spike

just looked at it again and its actually not a slide in. its split half way down the center and must have been pinched and popped in. one of the few things im not impressed with. overall im happy.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Has it gone bang?
Old 09-24-2008, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just noticed CVA has a $40 rebate in effect on the Accura models. It's on their front page. Dern near pulled the trigger on ordering one a few minutes ago. It's terrible to be an addict.

But I will wait for hysinthius' shooting report... if I can.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have they just givin the Optima pro a face lift?
Old 09-25-2008, 12:02 AM
Typical Buck

just looked at it again and its actually not a slide in. its split half way down the center and must have been pinched and popped in. one of the few things im not impressed with. overall im happy.
I wonder if that might be one kind of innovation that through testing,CVA determined that it leads to improved accuracy. Maybe the slit improves barrel harmonics, or somehow allows for less pressure and stress to be puton the barrel once it gets hot and expands.
Just because we might not know or understand the reason for anew design, doesn't necessarily mean that it's for the worse, or that it's only done to save money or to make production easier. It could bethe idea of an innovative engineer,and which hasone of the followingconsequenceswhencompared to the previousdesign; the new barrel lug is either better, worse or doesn'tcreate any significant change.
Two of these three possibilities are not bad, only one of themis.
It's difficulttojudgethe lug designwithoutagoodnumber ofconsumer tests and feedbacks.
Companies that innovate can sometimes find a new formula for success, other times they risk failure. It's hard to imagine that they would want to intentionallychange a previously successful design if they knew in advance that it wouldonlylead to worse performance.
While anything is possible, fair & scientificevaluations need to be basedonfacts.
Thanks for sharingall of thepictures and info.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I couldn't stand it any longer. [:-]
Old 09-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

UC,
why not just go on and buy one.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

UC!

You are suppose to be "the rock" "the foundation" that we all try to get to and now you are bending - cracking... Buying another rifle a polymere shooter... Wait til "Chief" finds out...

But, I have this theory - if you kin do it - so kin I, so ken Dave - or Semi or or anybody - you have opened the market up...

CVA should pay you for opening the doors... to bad you didn't get the powder though...

mike

Quick Reply: CVA Accura

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.