Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New muzzleloader for a novice

Old 08-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Spike

Default RE: New muzzleloader for a novice

Dead stick, You can use a 1 power scope or no magnification red dot in ND. A buddy just brought over a Omega stainless, laminated Thumbhole with a Holo Sight red dot. He wants me to work up a load and sight it in. He just left on a Dall sheep hunt in Alaska today and doesn't have time. It will be interesting to see how I like the red dot. I bought the Encore Endeavor because i want to put a 257 Ackley barrel on it. Ordered the barrel a week age. Will be 8 to 10 weeks. It is too windy to shoot today.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Since scopes are legal, I would throw a 1X32mm Thompson Center scope or a Nikon 1X20mm on that thing. It makes a great aiming device. I have them on a few of my muzzleloaders for the season since we are not allowed scopes. It really helps ME in accuracy.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:32 PM

CVA Accura.

Bother others are nice rifles, i own a laminated omega and its a nice rifle but a pain to take the stock off after every use and to clean the barrel out.

triump, To short of stock, Not available in Stainless and not a fan of the hollow plastic flexy stocks.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.fieldandstream.com/article/Gear/Best-of-the-Best-Awards-The-Best-New-Blackpowder-Rifles-of-2008

trigger description on that Accura caught my attention. Their selection leaves a lot of questions though - a LOT of questions.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:17 PM

just shy of 2lb trigger pull. Ive shot that same trigger weight that they report and love it!

i doubt they all will be like.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

just shy of 2lb trigger pull. Ive shot that same trigger weight that they report and love it!

i doubt they all will be like.
I played with an Acura tonight at Sportsman's Warehouse. I believe the 2lbtrigger talk...It actually wouldn't have surprised me if it was less than 2lbs to be honest... The guy there kept trying to tell me that the "Center Thompson" was a better gun... needless to say he wasn't the most informed salesman.